Skip to main content

Random things in My Day

3 crazy kids means triple the craziness in my life. Here's just a random sampling from each one.

Jacie (she's 7) - She decides she wants to stay the night. Her mom and I reluctantly agree. She goes over around 7pm. It's attempt number 1 at some independence, I guess. The attempt lasts until about 9:50pm, when we get a call from a girl 3 blocks away saying she wants to come home. I'd tell her to walk, but her mom is listening to the phone conversation...

Luke (he's 5) - Every time we go to McDonald's (which is less than the kids would like but more than I want to go), the boy wants a cheeseburger. He usually scrafs it and a small fry down and then helps his sisters finish their chicken nuggets. So I suggest to Jen that maybe it's time the boy has a double cheeseburger. This last Friday we do just that. He scarfs it down along with a small fry and STILL helps his sisters finish their chicken nuggets. I take note and start thinking about part-time jobs I can get to help feed him once he turns 13.

Jerica (she's 2,...2!) - Okay, I'll admit it, I am sarcastic. So is my wife. And Jacie and Luke have learned at tender ages. But Jerica was my innocent little baby, or so I thought. It's a regular day, which around here includes Jerica filling her diaper with surprises for me. I smell her and tell her, "oh, you're stinky." She turns to me (I'm not making this up) and retorts, "no, you are." I'm gonna have to knock the sarcasm out of her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...