Skip to main content

Memory Tester

I'm not sure why I forget. But enough time passes and I do. See, what I think I want is a day without responsibilities. I guess I should have been more specific. A couple of weeks ago I got a sick day. Sick days sound like a really good time when you're healthy. After all, what better way to catch up on reading, perhaps do some deep thinking (read: nap), and maybe even catch up on some banking.

Into my seventh hour of ESPN's Sportscenter I realized that the only thought that had gone through my mind all day was a repeated prayer; 'Why God is this happening to me?' I felt horrible, despite hearing the latest in basketball trade rumors and seeing justice served in Court TV.

I recently read a book called Love and War, by John and Stasi Eldredge, on the topic of marriage. In it they hammer home the point that marriage is a gift from God that helps us to grow. In this wonderful gift of marriage we are given a mate who sometimes causes us to ask God why he (or she) is happening to us. The answer is to that question is that God has growth planned for us through marriage, perhaps only surpassed by the lessons we learn from having children.

Now, I have neither space nor inclination to answer the deeper philosophical questions about why bad things happen to good-looking people such as myself. But perhaps I can offer one small encouragement.

Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions. Maybe what God really wants is for us to ask what we can learn from our experiences, our relationships, and certainly our mistakes. If our goal is to be more like Christ, then shouldn't we be looking for every chance to accomplish this? My relationships are avenues for continued growth. I'm not sure daytime television has any benefit at all, but perhaps surviving my sick day has something to teach me after all. I know the next time I want a free day, I'll be sure to clarify that request with God.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello!

My name is Rielynn and I am John & Stasi Eldredge’s personal assistant. I really enjoyed reading your blog!

I would love to offer you a free download from our website! To receive your free download, go to www.ransomedheart.com, login, add the desired download to your shopping cart, enter RS138A into the coupon code section and click “update cart”. Complete the checkout process and the download instructions will follow. We hope this will bless your heart! Feel free to pass this along to your readers!

Also – feel free to join John & Stasi for a LIVE webcast event on March 2 & May 4 at 6pm MT. For details go to: www.lovandwar.net Hope to see you there!

~Rielynn
Executive Assistant
John & Stasi Eldredge
Rick Nier said…
Thank you Rielynn!

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...