Skip to main content

My Manna From Heaven

We often criticize the Israelites for being unfaithful while wandering in the desert, always with sinful attitudes, even while daily receiving miraculous food from Heaven. How could they be so blind? How could they be so stupid?

Didn’t they realize they were receiving daily blessings from God? Didn’t they understand that, every single day, God was proving to them that He thought of them, remembered them, and was providing for them?

Every. Single. Day.

Of course, we could never be so blind. That is, unless we put ourselves in their shoes. Then we might not be so quick to judge. We are told they needed to go out and get the amount of food they needed for that day. 

Then the Lord said to Moses, “Look, I’m going to rain down food from heaven for you. Each day the people can go out and pick up as much food as they need for that day. I will test them in this to see whether or not they will follow my instructions. On the sixth day they will gather food, and when they prepare it, there will be twice as much as usual.” ~Exodus 16:4-5
If we imagine what was going in their heads, it might help us to realize what we have in common with them.

I wrote a while ago of how God provided a job for my wife. This was a job that was perfect for her, and continues to be a blessing, a job that came along at just the right time, in a way where it was clear to us that it was of God.

But I also acknowledged that it left me wondering what God has for me. While I wait (and waiting does involve searching) I have been substitute teaching. This isn’t a long term career, but the need in our schools is such that I am able to work every day.

The system is run through a computer program, where I need to go and check, every day, to find out where the need is. I have taught first grade, which left me whimpering in a corner. More often I have taught high school students, which sometimes leaves them whimpering in a corner.

All the while I have been asking God what He intends for me. I have been praying to God that He would provide work for me. All too often, I have overlooked the miraculous daily manna, of which I am holding in my hand.

How could the Israelites have been unfaithful in the midst of God working among them? How can I?

How can we? The realization that God is always in our midst, always at work around us, always taking care of us, is one that should move us to worship Him daily, and perhaps be a bit less judgmental about those who have gone before us.

If you read straight through the Bible, it can be very easy to forget about the manna from Heaven after you leave the middle of Exodus. But have you ever considered when the manna stopped?

While the Israelites were camped at Gilgal on the plains of Jericho, they celebrated Passover on the evening of the fourteenth day of the first month. The very next day they began to eat unleavened bread and roasted grain harvested from the land. No manna appeared on the day they first ate from the crops of the land, and it was never seen again. So from that time on the Israelites ate from the crops of Canaan. ~Joshua 5:10-12
The manna fell for 40 years! God never forgets His promises to take care of His children. We may forget. We may get busy in our adventures. We may start to concern ourselves with other things. But God is always faithful.

I know substitute teaching will not be my 20 year career. But I hope to walk into each school I am assigned, assured of Who has led me to this point in my life, assured that God has provided this day's work for me, and willing to be a conduit of God’s blessing to others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...