Skip to main content

2017, The Year I Never Expected

Like so many people, I end each year thinking about the year that was, and perhaps even resolving how I want the new year to go. But I guarantee you, no matter how much time I put into thinking last December, I never could have guessed how 2017 was going to go.

For starters, here's a couple of sentences I never thought I would speak.

  • I’m dropping the kids off at youth group. 
  • I’m ok being without a job for a few months. 

Both sentences go together, because as many of you know, I told the church I had youth pastored at for 15 years that God was telling me it was time to go.

Now I know that when someone invokes the voice of God into a decision, it can sound like they're passing the blame onto the Deity. After all, who's going to argue with the voice of the Lord? I imagine people largely fall into 2 categories on this matter.

Group #1 imagines the youth pastor just wants a change, but doesn't want people to dislike him for making the choice to leave.

Group #2 wonders when the youth pastor started hearing the voice of God.

For group #1, all I can offer is the invitation to walk where my family walked this year and then ask yourself if you'd make that choice...willingly. For group #2, I sometimes wondered the same thing. But the results can only be explained as being of God. For I never dreamed up the results.

To describe the results, let me offer you a few numbers.

3. Number of months I went without a job. When I did rejoin the workforce, it was in the highly lucrative position as a substitute teacher. I'm not complaining, since I was happy to be getting paid at all, but whatever we're paying teachers needs to be doubled immediately. Pro athletes should be told they can play games for a living, but the revenue goes to those investing in the next generation.

40. Over 40 actually. That's the number of churches I looked at, interviewed at, or had some level of interaction with, looking for a job. I really thought I was going to remain in youth ministry.

1. My family assumed we were moving. We really did. I applied far and wide. I told God I was willing to go wherever. When the job at Grace College came my way, I laughed because it was as if God was answering, 'I want you across the street.' That's right, my new job is 1 block away from the church we were at for 15 years.

My family learned a lot about trusting God this year. We used the word adventure a lot, because we knew, whatever happened, it would be God leading us. We learned about contentment, understanding that Clancy's Chips, a Doritos off-brand, do not taste quite the same, but get the job done.

We are keeping our hearts and minds open. We understand that it would be easy for us to assume that we can take our lives back over, because God did some huge things this year. But when one sees God work, in so many miraculous ways, as we have seen Him work in 2017, all we should do is live in thankful response and prepare for the next adventure.

Bring on 2018!

Comments

Unknown said…
God Bless you, my friend!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d