Skip to main content

Two Wet Days

Wow! What a weekend! I got away for a couple of days with the family. We went up to Amish country and found, of all things, a hotel with a water park inside of it. I guess no one told the Amish what they were gonna do with that old pole barn once it was up.

For one night's stay, we took the kids into the water park twice. Slides and hoses and a lazy river. The kids loved it. We loved it. Here were the highlights.

1. There was this giant bucket that dumped when it filled with about 150 gallons of water. There was a bell that would signal it was about to dump. Luke became like one of Pavlov's dogs. Every time he heard the bell he ran for cover.


2. I was videotaping Jacie cross a small pool that had several lily pads for kids to hop across on. When she saw me taping her, she stopped, posed, and the proceeded to miss the next jump. Watching her hit the padded edge of the pool and go backwards made me laugh. Later, when I showed Jen, we watched it several times, laughing each time.

3. Eating a 32oz Hot Fudge Sundae and bringing home the moster glass to remember it.

4. Watching Jerica slide down a water slide 32 times in a row. Oh, the things that entertain children.

5. We took a horse and buggy ride and I spent my time wondering if we could get Amish people to pay money to ride in our vehicles.

Now it's all done and I guess it's back to work. But it was fun while it lasted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...