Skip to main content

Teens and Toddlers

It really does not matter what kind of day it has been. Once the day turns to bedtime, thirst and giggles make their appearance. In my home I have an 8, 6 and 3 year old. Every bedtime routine is the same. Baths (if needed), last drink, last snack, brush teeth, pj's, prayer and good night. But despite the activities or length of the day, the children have, without my blessing, added a few items to their to-do list. This would include (but not be limited to) coming back out for one more last drink, one more hug, one more kiss, one more question, one more joke, five more questions or another trip to the bathroom.

I've tried discipline, bribery, moving bedtime back, moving bedtime forward. Apparently they will end up tiring and falling asleep at least a half an hour after when I wanted to last see them for the day.

Oh. It also does not matter what kind of day it has been at work. Once the hours turn past when God wanted to be awake, I mention that the teens should be tired. After all, they haven't had food in about 16 hours. They are participating in the 30 Hour Famine to raise awareness and money for World Vision. They have somehow pushed themselves to this point and yet still desire to watch a movie, which we do. At 2am (19 hours without food, for those keeping score) they agree (or simply give up) and get around for bed. And then it happens.

I actually had a teen ask for one more drink. After granting his request, I lay myself down, thoroughly exhausted. Just 10 minutes later, I have 3 guys storm into my office where I was going to sleep. Why you ask? To giggle like little school children and tell me they wanted to do one more thing before going to sleep. Apparently they will tire about 5 hours past when I wanted them to.

I love my children. I love my teens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...