Skip to main content

Core Training

I’ve been discussing core values of youth ministry this summer with my youth. At the beginning of the summer I used the picture of Core Training. The picture in my head was one of exercise and training. The exercise gurus will talk about having a strong core, referring to the area around your mid-section and back. I’m told that many injuries can be avoided if you have strong core muscles.

In fact, I have been doing some core training physically this summer with my wife. She found a workout video that is supposed to work out everything at the same time and leave you feeling ripped. We’ve been waking up at 6am 3-4 times a week this summer to do these videos. I don’t wake up at 6am because I want to. I don’t do so because it feels good. I do it because I am rules oriented. I need the exercise and this is the only time it will happen. I want strong core muscles. So I follow the ‘rules’. I exercise and try to watch what I eat if by that you mean showing my kids how many more cookies i can eat than them. The ‘rules’ say that if I do these 2 things, I will be in good shape.

But Core Training for spiritual reasons is totally different. Imagine that I talked the same way about spiritual training. ‘I wake up at 6am 3-4 times a week with Jesus and we work on my spiritual muscles; faith, hope, love. I don’t wake up at 6am because I want to. I don’t do so because it feels good. I do it because I am rules oriented. I need the exercise and this is the only time it will happen.’

Will this type of attitude please God? Faith is more heart knowledge than head knowledge. But often times, we see head knowledge taking the lead as we learn what is right and wrong for Christians. As humans, we’re very good about following rules, or at least pointing out when others don’t follow rules.

But God is more concerned with our hearts. That’s why Jesus said to “love the Lord your God with all your heart” (Matthew 22:37). It is also why Isaiah prophesied “these people…honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me” (Isaiah 29:13). God desires to have right action. But He is really more concerned with right motive. I’m not throwing out the rules. I am saying that you should be more concerned with loving God, truly loving God. Loving God involves getting to know Him.

I am re-reading a book by Mike Yaconelli called The Core Realities of Youth Ministry (more on this book tomorrow). In the book, Mike is talking about the value of intimacy and asks us to imagine a married couple. Imagine that they had a great wedding day, but after that they stopped doing anything together. When anyone questions them about their relationship, they just point out their wedding pictures and say that is how they know they have a good relationship. Would we say they had a strong marriage?

We do the same thing spiritually. So many people come to Jesus and have a conversion experience. But then they don’t spend any time with Jesus. When anyone questions them about their relationship with God, they point back to a time when they were 5 or 6 or 12 and say that is proof they are a Christian. But would we say they have a strong relationship with God?

How do you know you've been close with God recently?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d