Skip to main content

Mystical Union

It's not about me, it's not about me, it's not about me.

Sometimes I have to say that a lot to keep reminding myself. I found that to be true while reading Mystical Union: Stuff They Never Told You About the Finished Work of the Cross. In fact, I hate to admit just how much I struggled with this book. The book is by John Crowder, an advocate of supernatural Christianity, although I have to wonder if there is any other kind.

I write this review as a member of a holiness movement myself, which is one of the reasons I hate admitting my struggle. I believe in God's complete and victorious work on the cross. I believe that, by grace alone, I have been saved by God. I believe that this life is all about God and Jesus and, therefore, not about me. I'm comfortable with all of that.

In fact, I have often taught and confused the next generation with what I was taught was a second act of sanctification. This work being the entire removal of sin from our lives. Some call it Christian Perfection, some call it Entire Sanctification. Despite many people's struggle with it, I've taught it and believe in it.

If I had interviewed John Crowder, however, I imagine he would say I haven't gone far enough. Crowder teaches that justifiation and sanctification were all done at the same moment when Jesus died. Some in the holiness movement would have called that Instant Sanctification. That still would not have pleased Crowder because he writes convincingly that this is what is done for all believers.

It's hard to argue against his points. After all, who wants to say that we have some responsibility in this deal, other than saying yes to the arrangement? Believe me, I have said that, but it always sounds arrogant when you try to make yourself even a 5% partner with God. Either you agree that God has done 100% of the work or you do not.

I have just two overall problems with the book. I don't feel I ever got a full answer to what this means, for John, for the sin that is still in existence among those who are Christians. At points he centered on identity. The sin does not define us, which I agree with. At other points, however, he made it sound like to sin was impossible for us, although near the conclusion he did say otherwise. You know, can salt water and fresh water mix? I get the point, but as I look around...

The other detail, minor perhaps, was the million different versions of the Bible he used. He said it enhances his understanding of scripture to see many different translations. I get that. I think it also opens up the possibility of looking for exactly the wording that backs up your case. I'm not saying that is what John did, although at times I did wonder.

Overall, this is a good book that I think is worth the read. I received it from Mike Morrell and my friends at Speak Easy. They don't tell me what to say, just say something. This book will push your thinking and, at the very least, bring you to a greater appreciation of the work of God on the cross.

For more information you can link to.....
John’s online home: http://www.thenewmystics.com/

An example of John Crowder’s good-news bottom-line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOcWH-VkudE (How you respond to this is a good gauge to how you’ll like the books)

A press conference for Crowder’s book ‘Mystical Union’ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd8nlvrY-Po&feature=grec_index

The first installment of my blog series on Crowder three years ago – much has changed, much has stayed the same: http://zoecarnate.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/charismatic-chaos-or-holy-spirited-deconstruction/

#SpeakEasyCrowder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d