Skip to main content

An Extra Day - The Report

On Tuesday, I challenged us to use part of yesterday to do something for someone else. It didn't have to be earth-shattering. Just something. What made yesterday special? It was February 29 and it only comes along with Leap Year.

It would have been super-easy for me to just use up every spare minute yesterday. I've got a weekend trip coming my way and plenty on my to-do list to complete before I go. But I wanted to lead by example, even if it was small. After all, insignificance is the stated purpose around this blog, so I didn't want a huge story to overwhelm anyone or puff myself up.

My story will be in the comments. Hopefully it won't be alone.

Comments

Rick Nier said…
As promised my story is small. In fact, it's so small I almost missed the opportunity.

My act of service for someone else yesterday included fixing a glitch on their computer. It involved some research and a couple of steps, but it's now running smooth again, at least as smooth as a 5-year old PC will run.
Rick Nier said…
I'm posting this second story on behalf of a friend who was receiving server errors, but the story shouldn't be seen just by me.


I hadn’t thought about this being an “extra” day to be treated in a special way until I read your blog. But I had an experience this morning that was unique and fits right into the theme. I joined some mutual friends (from the Y water aerobics class) to encourage a very dear friend who is battling breast cancer. She is about to begin a new round of chemo and is losing her hair, so decided to be pro-active and have her head shaved! We got together and made the event into a party! We met at the salon, had lots of good conversation and some refreshments, and took pictures of our group. Then the stylist (who is herself a cancer survivor) seated our friend Judy in the chair and gave her a lot of great information about what to expect while we surrounded her. Some locks of hair were saved so she can compare them to her new hair when the treatment is history, and a few of the group even operated the clippers for one pass through her hair. After the deed was accomplished, more pictures were taken of all of us together, with Judy trying on a variety of hats—each of us had brought a hat, and there was some unique headgear to admire! It was an emotional but very rewarding occasion and definitely one none of us will ever forget. Please keep Judy in your prayers as she undergoes this next phase of her treatment.

Loraine

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...