Skip to main content

Balancing Ignorance with Intelligence as a Parent

To hear my elementary aged children talk about it, the public school they go to is a mix of Lord of the Flies and Fight Club. They come home with wild tales of recess times gone very, very bad. There are stories of children who have been there so long they have to shave after lunch to keep from scaring the kindergartners. There are even legends of ghost children who died on the playground years ago and now only come out on the anniversary of their death, in an attempt to cross over...the monkey bars.

Okay, maybe all of these stories don't exist, but I have had my daughter, on more than one occasion, tell me that if I had any idea what goes on at school during the day...and then she trails off. So I ask her what would happen if I knew. She tells me I would opt to home school them or send them to a private school.

I scoff. Then I ask for an example.

The latest story is about a friend who uses bad language. Since my wife and I have raised the bar on what is acceptable language in our home, I wonder if the words in question are actually bad words, or if they are put-downs that we have outlawed. It's not that I'd be okay with the latter, but it might save some drama.

I'm told the word in question is another word for 'poopy'. My son, who must think I not only work at a church, but was born there and raised there by priests and nuns, proceeds to whisper the actual word to me. I tell him that I am well aware of the bad word in question.

But this tells me a few things about parenting.
Project Parent 365 - Day 1: The Hands

First, it tells me that perhaps our children are feeling the struggle between two worlds. There is the world they have at home, where we have family devotions and discuss love and attend church events. Then there is the world they experience at public school, where not every child comes from a loving home. It's a reality that every Christian lives in. We're citizens of another world, yet we live in this one.

As parents we have to teach our children how to be good examples and stand strong in the face of such pressures.

Secondly, I believe, as parents, we have to take time to ask the follow up questions. Gone are the preschool days when we can tell our children to simply play nice. We have to be aware of what they are dealing with and give them tools to better deal with the realities of life.

Lastly (for today), I know we have to be open and honest with what our children are dealing with. If we close our eyes and stick our heads in the sand, we'll have our children teaching us about the world, instead of the other way around. There is an age appropriateness to this last one, but it involves taking the time to ask the follow up questions and have thorough conversations.

Sometimes we will deal with 'poopy' situations, but parents have been dealing with stuff like that since they day they brought their little bundle of joy home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d