Skip to main content

It's More Than Turkey

The week began with plumbing problems. Granted, they were plumbing problems that I created, but nevertheless, I had problems.

The schedule continued to be thwarted by a sick spouse and a son in physical therapy to make his arm work right again. Although I have wondered what the point is in that, since he's probably going to hit his sisters with that arm? This is to say nothing at all of a normal week’s to-do list that needed to be done.

And on top of all that, I had a sermon on thankfulness to prepare.

(Sigh.) I suppose I should practice it before I preach it and this was as good a week as any to practice.

What is it about us that makes thankfulness one of the last things we get to? Even as Christians, we sing about the amazing wonderful grace that we can't possibly earn and yet, we also get stuck in issues of entitlement.

What is it about us that makes thankfulness one of the most difficult things we do? Even as Christians, we find ourselves complaining about first world problems and mostly temporary issues.

What is it about us that makes thankfulness something we approach with a ‘whatever’ (dismissive) attitude instead of a ‘whatever’ (willing) attitude?

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the father through him. ~Colossians 3:17

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. Of course, as Christians, our thankfulness should not be limited to a holiday when we stuff ourselves silly. We can try to motivate ourselves with pithy sayings and pursue the 'attitude of gratitude'. But a thankful heart is born out of contentment.

I continue to find it ironic that Thanksgiving, a time when we express our thankfulness for all we have, is followed by Christmas, a season where we list all the things we don't have that will make us happy.

Who knows? Maybe this year will be different. If it is, it will be because you and I make it different. 

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...