Skip to main content

Now and Later

Most people that read my blog will not care about pro basketball but there was a nationally televised game between the San Antonio Spurs and the Miami Heat. Gregg Popovich, the coach of the Spurs, chose to send his 4 best players home before the game. The Spurs as a team are older and he decided to rest his stars throughout the season so they will be rested and ready for the playoffs.

Now, forget for a moment that sports mean way too much in our world and athletes are overpaid. Let's take it for what it is and allow me to give you a few more details. The Miami Heat are the defending champs and this game was highlighted on national television. 

So, because people talk all the time about sports and decisions, much was made about Popovich's choice to seemingly throw this game. People argued that this was way too early to be worried about the end of the season. This was too soon to be resting players. 

Really?

Are choices we make in November and December too soon for outcomes in April and May? Is there no acknowledgement that the things we do today have an impact on our lives months and years later? In the case of sports, one could argue that players cannot just turn fatigue on and off. But in more important areas of life, it must be admitted that we do not just become the person we've always wanted to be without working hard to become that person.

Our choices have consequences, both good and bad. This was made real to me recently as my son finished his occupational therapy on his left arm. Breaking it back in September, we worked through the pain and prayed against lifetime injuries. We took him twice a week and exercised his arm throughout the week. At the end of September, my boy could barely move his arm. He certainly didn't want to think about moving his arm. It wasn't easy for us to watch him struggle and wince. 

Today, he has 99% of the movement back. It should also be noted that the Spurs almost won the game. 

The little things we do now have a great effect on what happens later. Anything less is shortsighted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...