Skip to main content

God First, God Last

X American Idol

I'm a dad. As a dad, I find myself repeating myself many times. Don't hit your sister, don't go near the oven when it's on, don't stick your finger there. All. The. Time. 

So I can appreciate a guy like the Apostle John who repeats himself seemingly over and over in his first letter. Love this, love them, love God and don't stick your finger there. John has a message that he wants to get across and he makes sure it is simple and clear. 

So it's not totally surprising when he ends his letter with a warning against idols, Billy or otherwise. The letter ends abruptly, but it does sum it up.

Dear children, keep yourselves from idols. ~1 John 5:21
It's the last verse of his letter, almost a passing thought. But as if he might not see or write them again, he turns the focus clearly between God and anything else that might take God's place. 

This might be the best way to end any encouragement to anyone. Yes, there is a lot to our Christian faith. There is much to be taught and much to be learned. There are things to debate and things to practice. There are standards to be sought after and much praise to be sung. 

But, in the end, after all is said and done, it is about a choice. Between God and not-God. Anything that isn't God is an idol.

"Dear children, keep yourselves from idols."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...