Skip to main content

Bracketology Meets My Family


The challenge has been set. The gauntlet has been laid. And the chances are against me going anywhere but McDonald's when the game is over.

March brings Madness for any fan of college basketball. Madness is nothing new for my household, so let the insanity commence! I print out a bracket for each of my family members. This includes my children, ages 6, 9 and 11. We've done this for years now, each member selecting their winners.

Then, as the tournament progresses, I keep track of points. The person with the most points gets to select the next restaurant we eat at. It's harmless. After all, we're going to eat out some time. Someone has to choose. We might as well make it fun.

What's fun for me is putting my college basketball knowledge, based on ESPN analysts, against the whims of my family members.

There's my wife, who choose teams based on who was good back in the 90's, when she last paid attention to college ball.

There's the 11-year old who wants to know what colors each team is wearing.

The 9-year old, my boy, relies way too heavily on the rankings.

Lastly, the 6-year old makes her choices based on which team has the funnier sounding name. This is also the reason she cleaned up a few years ago when BUTT-ler made it to the Final Four. She has also been known to ride Cinderella teams to the Championship game, even though they never made it past a play-in game.

One might think I have an incredible winning streak going against this clan. Alas, I haven't won in years. But the whole thing is worth it for an experience that brings our family together. None of the kids care about the bracket past those fateful trips to McDonald's. But we have some unique fun each year around this time, giving us something to joke about and connect on.

We'll watch a few games, cheering on our picks, eating our share of nachos. I get to explain the game I love to my young ones. They get to hang out on the couch with their mom and dad.

In the end, no one cares too much who wins it all and cuts down the nets. But if I had to pick, I'd say the family being together is a #1 pick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d