Skip to main content

This is Going to Take Some Work


I have a confession. 
I don't always practice what I preach. That's kind of awkward for me to say, being a preacher and all. I mean, we say that to everyone, even people who are not, in fact, preachers. But me?

I have a license. It's that dangerous. Yeah, I know...you're kind of in awe right now. Not everyone is cut out to wear the cloth. Of course, I don't actually have any special cloth or holy underwear or anything like that. 

But I am stalling from actually finishing this confession. After all, if I leave it vague, you might think I rolled my eyes when someone cut me off in traffic. You probably struggle not to roll your eyes too, but not me. I have that well under control. In fact, I never roll my eyes when stupid, incompetent, meat-heads..... I've digressed again. 

I don't always practice what I preach. On this blog, I say, over and again and in many different ways, that life is not about me. In fact, I encourage you in your unawareness of who I am. I say this is my search for insignificance

But the truth is I say it regularly for a reason. I kind of, sort of, deep down (but on the surface), want to say this to large numbers of people. I'm not complaining about the amount of people who are currently reading. But when you believe you have an important message, you intrinsically want everyone to hear it. 

That in itself, is not really a bad thing. As long, of course, as the focus stays on that which is significant. But here is where I stumbled yesterday. 

I didn't have a post to schedule. And it's been the sort of week where I didn't have any energy to think up something to say. No special rants against inane happenstance, no book reviews, no message from the Lord. But what i thought was....

What if people don't notice me for a day?

Yeah, what if? What if the world kept spinning despite any lack of my sarcastic commentary on life? What if no silliness form my family were reported in this 24-hour news cycle? What if people succumbed to reading one of the million other bloggers out there, all offering wit and wisdom? 

What if I got over myself? What if I searched deeper for insignificance? It appears I have a lot longer way to go. 

This is my search for insignificance. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d