Skip to main content

Unintended Audiences


Luke, of third Gospel of the New Testament fame, was also a doctor. Compared to many doctors of today, this guy had quite the bedside manner. You can see it in the way he writes. 

I'm towards the beginning of a Bible reading plan that will take me through all four Gospels in 30 days. That, of course, is not counting the days I skip, since I am quite the undisciplined and sweaty Philistine. Actually, I'm only sweating because the air conditioner repairman hasn't shown up yet, but that's another blog post. 

The great thing about reading all four Gospels at the same time, besides getting a big helping of Jesus, is comparing the writers when they share the same stories. Take, for example, this story of John the Baptist in Luke 3. When Matthew, that cheating tax collector, shares the same story, he wastes no time in throwing the Pharisees and Sadducees under the bus. Then he snickers while he recalls what John the Baptist says to them. 

But not Doctor Luke. He simply refers to them as 'the crowds'. Everybody knows it's easier to say bad things about them when we generalize and don't make it overly obvious who we're talking about. So what did John the Baptist say. 

When the crowds came to John for baptism, he said, “You brood of snakes! Who warned you to flee God’s coming wrath? Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don’t just say to each other, ‘We’re safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.’ That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones. Even now the ax of God’s judgment is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire.” ~Luke 3:7-9

John the Baptist is addressing the Pharisees and Sadducees but they are not the ones who respond.

The crowd responds.

10 The crowds asked, “What should we do?”11 John replied, “If you have two shirts, give one to the poor. If you have food, share it with those who are hungry.”

The tax collectors respond.

12 Even corrupt tax collectors came to be baptized and asked, “Teacher, what should we do?”13 He replied, “Collect no more taxes than the government requires.”
 
The soldiers respond.

14 “What should we do?” asked some soldiers.
John replied, “Don’t extort money or make false accusations. And be content with your pay.”

In case you're wondering, tax collectors and soldiers were not favorably looked upon by the Jewish people. They kind of had a reputation for being cheaters. And the crowd that asked what they should do? We can be fairly certain it wasn't the religious leaders asking that question. For they assumed they already knew what to do. And it didn't include taking advice from wild-haired freaks with no fashion sense like John the Baptist. 

Besides avoiding religious leaders who are way too confident about themselves, what can we learn from this? Well, each follower of Jesus has a mission and a ministry. John the Baptist was doing what John the Baptist was supposed to be doing. He ate locusts. He rocked the leather. And he called the truth out in the wilderness. 

He didn't advertise for the crowds. He didn't entertain for the masses. 

It won't always work like we planned. But we should still do what we're supposed to be doing, because people are watching. They might not be the audiences we intended, but they might have questions. It's our calling to be available to answer those questions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d