Skip to main content

God is Personal!

I've been duplicating myself this week by posting portions of the sermons I'm delivering at a camp. For today, I thought I'd share towards the end, right before I make the classic camp altar call. 

Night 4 - God is Personal

Life only makes sense when you see things from a God-eye view. See, God has this idea in His divine mind that since He is the best thing ever, our sole desire should be for more of Him. If it weren't, Jesus wouldn't have said such crazy things as He did in Matthew 13:44-46. He tells us of a guy out treasure hunting. He doesn't tell us much, but the treasure was hidden in a field. So the guy that was looking, was looking on purpose. He probably had a metal detector and a shovel with him. And when he found it, Jesus says that he hid it again, and in his joy went and sold all he had and bought the field.

It’s hard to even put this in terms that we can relate to. How many of you are bargain hunters? Do you clip coupons and search papers or the web for deals? Has there ever been anything you wanted so much that you thought about selling everything you had in order to get it? I doubt it. See, we look for treasures to add to our treasure chest. We’re like pirates in nice suits and dresses. That’s because rarely, if ever, does a treasure grab our undivided attention.

But this was not the case in this story Jesus told. The guy went and sold it all. Everything. Things he probably liked and things he knew he could do without because this treasure was the ultimate.

Jesus also compared the kingdom of Heaven to a merchant looking for pearls. This isn't you or me looking for shiny new techno gadgets. This is an expert in the field looking for the one. The pearl of legends, the one he sometimes wonders if it even exists. When he finds it, he too sells everything he has. This would have to include several other expensive pearls. He sold it all in order to attain this most precious of all pearls. (Insert your own Gollum / Lord of the Rings joke right here.)

Again, I believe it is hard for us to even think like this. We have even perhaps attempted to put things on a tier level. God is at the top, then the family, church, work, and then anything else. And while this may be better than having God somewhere down the tier, I’m not sure having a tier is good. In Luke 15, Jesus gives us three more pictures of what God’s focus is like. It’s the story of a man who loses one sheep from a hundred, a woman who loses one coin from ten, and a man who loses one son of two. In each story, the person’s focus turns to the lost object or person. When they are found, a party is had. Jesus tells us this is what Heaven looks like when a lost person is found.

If God’s focus on us is like this, shouldn't ours be as true. God did not forget the 99 sheep, the 9 coins, or the older son who were not lost. As Jesus tells the story, the found are always with God and always have access to everything He has. In the same way, we should not fear that if we give a singular focus towards God that our friends and family will suffer. Rather, our love and energy will be multiplied and what we have to offer will be better. Much, much better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d