Skip to main content

Ministry Monday: Do You Hear That Cliquing?


One might imagine that a smaller youth group would not suffer some of the same headaches that a larger youth group has. To a certain degree, it's true.

I don't have to worry about the sound system working so every teen can hear me from the stage. I don't have, or need, a sound system.

I don't concern myself with where all the driving teens will park. We have a parking lot large enough for us and for the adult evening service that runs at the same time.

I never think about budgeting enough for a speaker or band. The most I do would involve joining with another youth group, probably the larger group that is going to do so with or without my help.

But there is a problem for large and small groups alike. Cliques.

Honestly, I didn't give it much thought because I barely have enough teens to form a clique, much less several. But it crept in uninvited and made itself at home. Apparently cliques from outside of youth group feel free to come on in and join the fun. And fun is the last thing it actually provides. In fact, fun is something no one has while dealing with a clique.

So, what to do?

Deal with it.
Cliques, like any sin, love to live in the dark. If not addressed, the problems can fester and grow and become more than just cliques. So I addressed it. From the stage. I reminded our group of our purpose and our identity. There's no room for cliques in either.

Play against it.
I mentioned this idea a couple of weeks ago, but getting the group to feel stupid together puts everyone on a level playing field. If everyone feels dumb together and laughs together, the divisions become blurry. Enough blurriness can lead teens to realize where the real lines are drawn.

As much as I'd like to be a typical 3-point pastor, that's what I got this morning. If you've got other ideas, I would love to hear them, because this is not a new problem, nor is it one that will go away forever. I'm sure the cliquing noise will be back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...