Skip to main content

Ministry Monday: Do You Hear That Cliquing?


One might imagine that a smaller youth group would not suffer some of the same headaches that a larger youth group has. To a certain degree, it's true.

I don't have to worry about the sound system working so every teen can hear me from the stage. I don't have, or need, a sound system.

I don't concern myself with where all the driving teens will park. We have a parking lot large enough for us and for the adult evening service that runs at the same time.

I never think about budgeting enough for a speaker or band. The most I do would involve joining with another youth group, probably the larger group that is going to do so with or without my help.

But there is a problem for large and small groups alike. Cliques.

Honestly, I didn't give it much thought because I barely have enough teens to form a clique, much less several. But it crept in uninvited and made itself at home. Apparently cliques from outside of youth group feel free to come on in and join the fun. And fun is the last thing it actually provides. In fact, fun is something no one has while dealing with a clique.

So, what to do?

Deal with it.
Cliques, like any sin, love to live in the dark. If not addressed, the problems can fester and grow and become more than just cliques. So I addressed it. From the stage. I reminded our group of our purpose and our identity. There's no room for cliques in either.

Play against it.
I mentioned this idea a couple of weeks ago, but getting the group to feel stupid together puts everyone on a level playing field. If everyone feels dumb together and laughs together, the divisions become blurry. Enough blurriness can lead teens to realize where the real lines are drawn.

As much as I'd like to be a typical 3-point pastor, that's what I got this morning. If you've got other ideas, I would love to hear them, because this is not a new problem, nor is it one that will go away forever. I'm sure the cliquing noise will be back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...