Skip to main content

Ministry Mondays: Feeling Dumb Can Feel Good

Ministry Mondays, what's that? Well, as random as my blog can be, why not allow a little of what I do in the mix? I'm not saying it will happen every Monday. I'm also not saying other youth ministry blogs should watch their backs. I'm just saying this is something. And that's not nothing. Here we go...
That's just dumb. 

When you hear that, many things happen.

  • You hope someone is not talking about something you just said or did. 
  • If you know it is something you said or did, you instantly feel regret.
  • You start thinking of a way to fix this so you don't feel so...uh....dumb. 
But what if it didn't have to be that way? What if you could be dumb without having to feel dumb? This is my most recent goal with my youth group. Clearly it should be a constant goal. 

Why?

We can feel dumb everywhere we go. School is just a breeding ground for dumb things to happen. From not knowing how to do what the teachers want you to do to not knowing how to grasp cool. Quite frankly, I think most workplaces can feel the same. Even in the church. But a youth group should be different.

A youth group should be a place of safety for everyone. When we're discussing matters of faith and discipleship, I believe a teen should feel the freedom to fail and fall, picking themselves back up without fear of ridicule. After all, it's tough enough.


The youth room my group meets in has a nickname; the inner sanctum. It promotes the safety we're after in all our discussions. It's also a lot better than calling the room God's Blind Spot. (Yes, they've called it that. No, I'm not comfortable with that idea by any manner of theology.)

So my goal is getting everyone to feel stupid together. Because none of us is as dumb as all of us. No, not really. The reason is that if everyone is doing something stupid, then we won't feel like anyone can poke fun, since they are in on the joke.

Here are some things I have found to help my youth group get past feeling stupid while doing some pretty stupid stuff. 

Watch Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Even if you don't enjoy the irreverence of Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles, you'll get plenty of ideas for improv games. Most recently, I played 3-headed genius with my group. Have 3 teens stand arm in arm and give answers to simple questions one word at a time.

Play Pretend
I found a few ideas over at the People and Chairs blog. I'm not advocating everything you might find there, but a couple of improv ideas I found included Red Ball, Knife Throw, and Oscar Moment

This is an exercise involving listening and throwing a red...which you don't have.
It's the same as Red Ball, except much more dangerous, because you are now throwing an imaginary knife.
This is you, letting your inner Keanu Reeves out. Why do I say Keanu? Because he can't act, and you're probably not that great either.

Dumb? Maybe, but I am looking for my group to get over themselves and not worry about what others think so much. What better way than to bring everyone in on the same level?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d