Skip to main content

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but...

Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life.

But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas...

Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then perhaps I would receive a call telling me that I could pay for their dinner and entrance to a movie. That's a Facebook 'maybe'.

Perhaps this is more akin to hosting a party. When extending invitations, if you are told that their presence depends on certain factors; type of food, music and other guests, you have been given the Facebook 'maybe'.

I have even had people help me plan events, then post a maybe as their RSVP. Am I missing something? Is there a cool factor here that I don't get? Are people simply avoiding stalkers by not letting predators know they will be at a certain party at a certain time on a certain day? Is this like showing up fashionably late?

I long for a world where people would reject you with seemingly no awareness of your silly little feelings. I think we would all be much happier if people told us they had no intention of being seen with us...ever. I believe it was a much nicer world when people laughed at you while walking away. At least then you knew. But today we live in a world where people prefer to keep you guessing. 'Your party may have 200 people. Or it may flop. You just don't know. And you don't know because I won't tell you.'

I don't understand a world that operates in this manner. The Bible I read tells me to let my 'yes' mean yes and my 'no' mean no. It says nothing of any 'maybe'. Does that make it non-Biblical? Will my words of wisdom stem the tide of non-commitment? Will the world come to its' senses and give a yes or a no? Will this line of superior reasoning make any difference at all?

Possibly?

Comments

Jason said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason said…
Haha, so did this actually spawn from the frail responses you get from the Youturn/Reality Facebook group, or the terrifying reality that the majority our world is embracing relativism?
Rick Nier said…
Well, there is that scary prospect in our society, but mostly it's a rant on the frail responses. And to think, it's the people I have helped train that say maybe.
Wes said…
Maybe people just leave a "facebook maybe" to annoy you. But then again, who would do that?
Rick Nier said…
Wes, hopefully not you...grrrrr

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d