Skip to main content

What's Stopping You?

Sometimes we talk about the Apostles as if everything was kittens and rainbows for these guys, as if everything they touched turned to gold. Yes, they had amazing displays of the Holy Spirit power. But let’s not pretend there weren’t obstacles to their mission, which, by the way, is also our mission.

It is interesting how the book of Acts begins and ends. In Acts 1 we have the disciples barely wanting to start their mission.

Do you remember Acts 1? Jesus tells them to wait in Jerusalem for the Holy Spirit. Instead of asking what that might be like, they ask when he’s going to come back. Jesus gives them the equivalent of ‘Don’t worry about it!’ Then He ascends right before their very eyes. Then they stand there with jaws dropped, like a bunch of Gomer Pyle stunt doubles, until an angel has to ask them what they are standing around for.

When the Holy Spirit comes on the disciples in Acts 2, it becomes a line in the sand. Goobers no more, the disciples become a force to be reckoned with.

And as we go through the early chapters, everyone is trying to stop the disciples from preaching about Jesus. Disciples are being arrested and killed. Even some young guy named Saul is taking it upon himself to travel around and arrest Christians from other cities.

Then Saul encounters Jesus, becomes Paul and it would appear all Heaven breaks loose. History tells us of how the disciples went all over the place, with a special focus on Peter going to the Gentiles and Paul travelling all over.

By the end of Acts, Paul is under house arrest in Rome, a long way from Jerusalem (Google Map). Acts 28 tells us he preached the word of God everyday and "nobody tries to stop him."

Going from a message that everyone tried to squelch to a message that nobody even tries to stop is quite a deal. You might even call it an act of God. I want to pause here and make sure you're with me, kind of like a children's cartoon character who asks questions and waits for a response. 



Fast forward to today. I hear lots of people talking about our rights to pray and our freedom of speech. I hear concern that we might once again be shoved to the side of the American way of life and be inhibited from sharing Jesus with our friends and neighbors.

“The Revolution was effected before the War commenced. The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments of their duties and obligations … This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people, was the real American Revolution.”
This quote is by John Adams, commenting on the First Great Awakening, a revival that took place starting in the 1730's, before the Revolutionary War.

This quote is used, along with others, to prove that the United States was founded on Christian principles. When contrasted with headlines in more recent history, it would seem that religious freedom is under attack. From being free to refuse certain types of legally recognized marriages to the tax status of Christian schools, hospitals and charities, it appears the ability for Christianity to have an equal voice in the public square is becoming diminished.

Doomsday prophets are pointing to Revelation and assuring us that our basic rights will disappear next and that the end times are upon us. They might be right. What do I know?

But since when did Christians ever depend on what the world was allowing in order to complete our mission?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d