Skip to main content

Food: A Love Story


I saw the cover and knew I would have to read it. Food: A Love Story by Jim Gaffigan. If you've never heard the comedy of Gaffigan, he's most widely known as the 'Hot Pocket' comic. But I would call myself a fan of a lot of his stuff. 

Jim is not loud or yelling at you. His humor is almost ninja-like, sneaking up on you in his delivery. I listened to the audiobook version of his other book, Dad is Fat. Awesomely read by him, I've never had a more entertaining drive. And I despise long drives. 

In Food: A Love Story, Jim ponders the ins and outs of practically all foods across America, even going so far as to give us a map of how each region should be named, after the foods most popular there. One can read about his quest to make all food comfort food, except seafood, which he clearly has a distaste for. 

At times, I cannot tell if Jim is attempting to communicate an important message about the amount of food we have here in America. Even if not intentional, the fact that a guy can write so much about America's obsession with food is telling and should cause us to think while we laugh. Mostly family-friendly, if you like his stand-up, it won't be difficult for you to hear his voice as you read his book. 

I received this book for free from my friends at Blogging for Books. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...