Skip to main content

If I Were Jesus...

My mother-in-law was treated unkindly by someone claiming to be a professional in the medical field. This happened about a month ago, but no, I’m not still fuming over this. I feel bad that it happened, but that's not why I bring it up.

As my wife was sharing with our whole family about the injustice served to her mom, our kids became justifiably upset (I'm glad they care). They started telling us what they would have told the so-called professional had they been in that situation. I began to hear how my kids might treat telemarketers in the future. It wasn’t pretty.

And that's when I saw it. That moment parents enjoy...a teachable moment. 

I stopped their bravado and simply asked them how they thought Jesus would respond to injustice or being treated unfairly. How would Jesus respond to the healthcare worker?

Jacie, our oldest responded, as if Jesus, with, "Oh yeah, I'll just heal myself!" My son, always a bit too quick with his wit, responded, "If I were Jesus, I would have said, 'Do you know who I am?'"

Sigh...teachable moment gone. 

Actually, it wasn't. It was simply delayed until we stopped laughing. 

Have you ever stopped and asked yourself how Jesus might actually respond, were He in our shoes? How might Jesus respond when His schedule was wrecked, His expectations unmet and His dreams dashed? Yes, the Apostle Peter told us Jesus left us an example to follow in His steps (1 Peter 2:21).

But, in the moment, that’s often easier said than followed.

I think we often miss what Jesus actually did when He found Himself in need. He looked to His Father in Heaven. I find it interesting that the first two comments from my children, in the situation above, alluded to power and prestige. And that’s often the way we respond to difficulties.


But if Jesus looked up for help, perhaps that’s the example we should be following. 
What would Jesus do indeed?!?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...