Skip to main content

Surrender To God's Love

Matthew 3:13-1713 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.
16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Jesus is doing a pretty cool thing here, being baptized. This marked the beginning of His ministry and connects Jesus to the people He came to save.

I work with teens and, of course, have a couple of them in my own home. There is this fascinating dance between parents and their teenagers. Parents have to somehow impart wisdom to teenagers without it sounding like a lecture. Their best bet is to somehow trick the teenager into thinking that they, the teenager, came up with the good idea all on their own.

Teenager: Mom, Dad, I think I should show more respect to adults.
Parents: Wow, that’s a great idea! What a novel concept that you thought up all by yourself.

Teenagers, on the other hand, attempt to make right and good decisions without it being noticed by their parents. They don’t want the fanfare, because then they might have to admit they learned something from their parents. Pshaw, I’ve always known how to make every right decision in every area of my life. Please don’t make a big deal out of this.

Now Jesus is 30 years old when He gets baptized, so perhaps He’s past all the moves and countermoves of adolescence. But if there was any part of Him that didn’t want His baptism to cause a scene, that hope flew out the window as God the Father decides to part open the skies and send the Holy Spirit flying around like a dove. A spotlight shines on Jesus and a big voice from Heaven booms, ‘That’s my boy!’

God the Father may have as well been wearing plaid pants, a striped shirt, had a gaudy camera slung around His neck while waving real big, ‘Jesus! Hey buddy! Over here! Looking good, Jesus!’

I drive my teenagers to school in the mornings. It’s been getting cold recently, and my daughter has been taking a blanket with her to keep warm in the truck on the way to school. She’ll tell you it’s because her father won’t warm the vehicle up. I think she’s trying to extend the feeling of still being in bed. Regardless, she leaves the blanket in the truck when she gets out. A couple of weeks ago, just as she opened the door, with lots of students pouring into the school, I yelled out, ‘Baby, don’t forget your security blankie!’

She rolled her eyes, responded, ‘Nice’, then closed the door and escaped any further embarrassment as quickly as possible.

As you can tell, I’m taking my role as a dad pretty seriously.

I’m fairly certain that God the Father was not trying to embarrass Jesus. I’m also quite certain Jesus did not roll His eyes and try to avoid the attention. He surrendered to the love of His Father.

When it comes to God our Father, we should do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d