Skip to main content

Something to Pray About

She said to pray for a student who was standing near us. To be clear, she asked all the students in the building to nod so that people near them would know they were a middle school or high school student. 

Since I’ve reached the age where everyone under 30 looks like they could still be in high school, this was a smart thing to do. It would be awkward to start praying for someone’s high school career and find out they graduated in 2012. But, for me, it was also unnecessary, because I was standing next to my middle school aged son, with his two sisters just beyond him. 

She directed us to pray for these students in light of what recently happened in Parkland, Florida. No problem! I pray for my three, and several others, every single day. It’s not just guns I fear. It’s temptations of every variety, the peer pressure that comes from every side, the stress of trying to perform well academically and socially, and on and on and on. It’s also that they would stay safe from every stupid impulse that pops its way into their still-developing brains, both the brains of my kids and the ones around them. 

It didn’t take long for my prayers to form. Lord, may my children never know the fear that is running for your life while some twisted individual wields a gun, deciding to kill whomever may have hurt their feelings and as many others as possible. 

It struck me mid-prayer that I was not praying a simple prayer. These school shootings, happening regularly for at least 20 years now, are random and always end with a few commonalities. Most people do not see them coming. They happen in often idyllic towns where many people knew the perpetrator. And they always open up the gun debate. 

It struck me mid-prayer that I was not praying against gun laws. If we can ignore the media circus that is what we call our news cycles and the politicians who use them, I would like to point out a simple truth. While people on either side of the gun debate continue to think exactly as they always have, real people mourn real loss. 

It struck me that I was not praying about anything small. I was praying against sin nature. We can talk about the pros and cons of gun laws, the ins and outs of mental illness and the would’ve, should’ve, could’ve of every single disaster. But we will be wasting our breath. 

It struck me that, even as I prayed for my children’s safety and against the sinful nature of anyone who might chance to cross their path, I also needed to pray for the sinful nature that battled within myself and my children. 

This, sadly, is where our wheels will continue to spin, never understanding that we are not simply praying for our own loved ones and against anyone else who might pose a threat. Or, as someone once wrote, ‘our struggle is not against flesh and blood.’ 


So yes, prayer is needed. But make sure you know what you’re praying for. And keep in mind which enemy you’re praying against. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d