Skip to main content

What do you know?

Have you ever paused to think about what we know to be true? If you are the type of person who is quick to judge, as I am prone, then you know that sometimes we only think we know what’s true. Oftentimes we have only to wait a little bit to be given more information.

Something like this is happening in Luke 8. Jesus appears to be going non-stop from town to town healing people. In fact, for the people who lived this story out, that may have been the only detail they actually knew for sure. 

In fact, He is on His way to the home of a dying girl, at the father’s request, when a woman intentionally touches Him and is healed. I say intentionally because it causes a scene. 

If you can imagine the kind of roving mosh pit that was the crowd clamoring to be close to Jesus, then you realize many people would have been touching him. Because, you know, some people are close walkers. 

They trip over your feet and accidentally bump you because of their proximity. Some people do it on purpose. Others are simply oblivious. But this woman intentionally touched Jesus, looking to be healed from her bleeding. 

And it worked. But Jesus knew something happened. He knew healing power had left Him. He knew this touch was different than the others. In fact, because of her faith, this woman knew the same thing. 

I’m focused on what Jesus knew because it’s about to come up again. 

This crowd had been traveling to the home of a sick girl. But before they get there, servants come and tell the man his daughter is dead. They knew it. They had watched it. 

But this doesn’t deter Jesus. Let me say it clearer. 

Death doesn’t deter Jesus. 

They get to the home where people are wailing. And I get it. We would all agree. Twelve year olds shouldn’t die. It’s too soon. 

But the crying turns to laughing when Jesus tells them the girl isn’t dead. She’s sleeping. 

The crowd laughed because they knew she had died. They knew it. Jesus wasn’t there. He hadn’t seen what they saw. The girl died. And we all know death is final. That’s what we know.

Now, I know what everybody is thinking about. Naturally you’re thinking about that scene in Men in Black where Agent K, played by Tommy Lee Jones, had this conversation with Agent J, played by Will Smith. I know, it’s crazy how alike we think!

People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Give hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone On this planet. Imagine what you’ll know tomorrow.

It’s amazing how seeing something new will change what we think we know. We only talk about certainty. Death and taxes, right? We know what death looks like. We know it’s final. 

But what do we really know? Because Jesus laughed right back by looking at the girl and commanding her to get up. And she did. 

Well, what do you know?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...