Skip to main content

Conversations With Myself



Here is how some conversations with myself go. 

Me: I should post a new article on my blog a couple of times each week.
Also me: You haven’t posted an article in over a month!
Me: This time could be different. I could be more focused.
Sarcastic me: Yep, because that’s how life works. 
Really Sarcastic Me: Please hurry because dozens of people are waiting on pins and needles to hear your thoughts. 

The really sarcastic me can often be quite mean. And, to be honest, some conversations with myself are way worse than this one. 

The truth is, I have no promises to myself, nor guarantees to you, on how often I am going to post. An honest review of my posts reveals too many that start with “Wow, it’s been a while since I posted...remember when I said I wanted to write?” 

Here is what I am telling myself, while pushing the mean and sarcastic voices down. I have something to say. I have something to offer. Encouragement, hope, insight. So do you. Yours might not come in written form, but you have something to offer. 

Encouragement Blockades

What’s keeping you from giving of yourself might be similar to what keeps me from giving of myself. 

It’s fear. What if our encouragement is rejected, mocked, or not returned? It’s buying into lies that tell us what we lack. Do we have anything of value to offer? It’s busying ourselves with other things. Maybe I’ll have time tomorrow to think about someone else. 

One of the teachers at my church reminded me recently that encouraging one another is a command from scripture, something we are not intended to put off. (Thanks, Kyle!) It’s a relational call to not distance ourselves from one another. 

New Resolutions

I read recently that September is the second biggest season for making resolutions. They said it was because of the new school year starting and the laziness of summer ending. I don’t know if that’s the case for me because I’ve been the type that can use any new beginning as a reason to be resolved. Perhaps you have been as well, but as time wears on, the resolution tends to fade. 

It wasn’t that long ago that everyone was talking about putting on their hater-blockers, you know, to block out the hate. Yeah, they may have been a fad, or a seasonal item, but I’m guessing most of us still have a pair lying around somewhere. 

The hate may come from within but I’m going to block it out. I encourage you to do the same. 


via GIPHY

Comments

tasha said…
Oh my goodness, I feel this so much!! I have total conversations with myself ALL the time. Lol
Keep on moving forward, you are being inspirational to people you don't even know you are inspiring. 👍

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...