Skip to main content

When What We Want Isn’t What We Really Want

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before. A person asks for something and then immediately complains when they get it. It’s not exactly what we meant or precisely what we thought it would look like. 

We won’t necessarily return it, but we’re not going to celebrate it. It’s a common party trick and it doesn’t just happen with toddlers. 

It’s Going To Look Like I’m Changing The Subject

I was included recently in a discussion about worship music. The conversation was on social media, because that’s where most people are level-headed and reasonable. 

The author of the article was waxing eloquent about which worship music songs could be sung in church with a clean conscience. Whereas I would normally assume songs are selected by how repeatable the bridge is, this author was breaking down the worthiness of songs based on who had authored them.

Sure, he was paying attention to lyrics, but if he believed lyrics could be taken one of two ways, and one of those ways could even be misconstrued as heretical, then he assumed heresy. Why would anyone do that, you ask? Based on the church they were a part of, of course. 

Listen, I understand words matter. I believe doctrine is important. And history can be an indicator of future actions. But not always. 

Did You Hear About This Kanye Fellow?

This past week, there has been some sporadic coverage over a mildly popular artist professing faith in Jesus. Maybe you’ve heard about Kanye and even listened to his new album titled Jesus is King. 


Unlike the many who have already debated whether or not another person could have claimed allegiance to an invisible God using their unseen faith, I will question what it is in the rest of us that is suddenly equipped to judge these matters accurately. 

It’s interesting because, as a Church, our top priority is evangelism. We spend lots of time asking God to give us a harvest. We say it’s what we desire, to see people come to know Jesus. 

But when someone does come to claim Jesus as Lord and Savior, we spend more time debating if it was real than we do praising God that someone who was wayward has experienced salvation. 

Redemption Is Still A Thing, Right?

People do change. Their actions, their beliefs. We all know this to be true, especially when we consider that we would not want to be held accountable forever for that one thing we believed, or said, or did, back when we were clearly not as intelligent as we are now. 

If we’re going to allow for ourselves to grow, understanding we can sometimes be right, even while we are sometimes wrong, it would be decent of us to offer others the same courtesy. I think this applies to Christians writing worship music.

Even if that Christian happens to be Kanye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...