Skip to main content

Leaves

The other day I was talking with my neighbor, and we were discussing all the raking we had been doing. (Needless to say, I have done more, but that’s not the point.) 

I wondered aloud what it would be like if God had designed all the leaves to fall off the trees at the same time. The thought of being under a tree when all of its leaves came down in one big lump amused me. Can you imagine the trauma it might cause kids who are playing outside? The thought amused me even more. 

My neighbor, who takes care of his yard to a degree that most of us can only aspire to (and then some) commented that we’d all have dead grass. Thanks, Johnny Raincloud.

He might be right. Seeing a pile of leaves waist-deep would be very discouraging and might keep more of us from all the raking that we do. After all, we still rake all the leaves, but the work has been spread out over weeks. 

Yes, I’m getting tired of my rake now, but a pile consisting of every leaf my trees ever held would feel insurmountable. Better to take it little by little. 

WATCH OUT FOR FALLING PUNS

Let’s leave that conversation behind for a moment. 2020 has been quite the year and a half, hasn’t it?

Storms, riots, murder hornets, land hurricanes, racism, and a contentious election. In case anyone was feeling left out, we are also in the midst of a global pandemic. Oh, and as if all that wasn’t enough, we had to say good-bye to Alex Trebek too. 

2020, you and I are going to have some words. 

PERSPECTIVE IS EVERYTHING

I remember back a couple years ago (or maybe it was March) when they told us we needed to quarantine for a couple of weeks and then we’d all be back. Back to school. Back to church. Back to work. 

My family postponed a spring break trip to June, because surely this would all be over by then. When June hit, we postponed the trip indefinitely, waiting for cruise ships to decide if they will ever sail again. 

Now, there are two groups of people. There are those who think this is the beginning of the apocalypse and life will never be the same again. Others assume that the minute the big ball drops in Times Square, our collective Cinderella dreams will all be restored and life will go back to normal. 

I’m not a pessimist, but if you’re in that second group, I have some swamp land or a bridge to sell you. Or whatever scoffers are selling to believers these days. 

But I’m not here to make a profit. I’m here to make a point.

SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS POST?

Thanks for sticking with me here, and for believing that I have a point, which...I do. 

It occurs to me that if my family had known back in March what we know now, we might have been more discouraged than we already were. In fact, if the riots and the election and the pandemic and the many other things that have made 2020 so incredibly memorable had all happened in one fell swoop, the suicide rate might have soared. 

The reality is it would have felt unbearable. It would have been like the story of Job, where he lost his children and his livestock and his everything in one day, only to be followed up by getting a bad case of the plague. 

How many of us would have responded that God gives and God takes away? How many would have persisted in praising God's name? I'm not doing a poll, but I don’t think the numbers would look good. 

It seems to me that maybe God was giving us a gift by offering us experiences in chunks of 24 hours. Maybe He was on to something when He told us not to worry about tomorrow. 

If we don’t see how unbearable the alternative is, it might be because our lives have been so pain-free. We also may have been unconscious for most of 2020. 

Either way, I’m going to be thankful that the leaves fall over an entire season instead of in one big drop. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d