Skip to main content

Leaves

The other day I was talking with my neighbor, and we were discussing all the raking we had been doing. (Needless to say, I have done more, but that’s not the point.) 

I wondered aloud what it would be like if God had designed all the leaves to fall off the trees at the same time. The thought of being under a tree when all of its leaves came down in one big lump amused me. Can you imagine the trauma it might cause kids who are playing outside? The thought amused me even more. 

My neighbor, who takes care of his yard to a degree that most of us can only aspire to (and then some) commented that we’d all have dead grass. Thanks, Johnny Raincloud.

He might be right. Seeing a pile of leaves waist-deep would be very discouraging and might keep more of us from all the raking that we do. After all, we still rake all the leaves, but the work has been spread out over weeks. 

Yes, I’m getting tired of my rake now, but a pile consisting of every leaf my trees ever held would feel insurmountable. Better to take it little by little. 

WATCH OUT FOR FALLING PUNS

Let’s leave that conversation behind for a moment. 2020 has been quite the year and a half, hasn’t it?

Storms, riots, murder hornets, land hurricanes, racism, and a contentious election. In case anyone was feeling left out, we are also in the midst of a global pandemic. Oh, and as if all that wasn’t enough, we had to say good-bye to Alex Trebek too. 

2020, you and I are going to have some words. 

PERSPECTIVE IS EVERYTHING

I remember back a couple years ago (or maybe it was March) when they told us we needed to quarantine for a couple of weeks and then we’d all be back. Back to school. Back to church. Back to work. 

My family postponed a spring break trip to June, because surely this would all be over by then. When June hit, we postponed the trip indefinitely, waiting for cruise ships to decide if they will ever sail again. 

Now, there are two groups of people. There are those who think this is the beginning of the apocalypse and life will never be the same again. Others assume that the minute the big ball drops in Times Square, our collective Cinderella dreams will all be restored and life will go back to normal. 

I’m not a pessimist, but if you’re in that second group, I have some swamp land or a bridge to sell you. Or whatever scoffers are selling to believers these days. 

But I’m not here to make a profit. I’m here to make a point.

SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS POST?

Thanks for sticking with me here, and for believing that I have a point, which...I do. 

It occurs to me that if my family had known back in March what we know now, we might have been more discouraged than we already were. In fact, if the riots and the election and the pandemic and the many other things that have made 2020 so incredibly memorable had all happened in one fell swoop, the suicide rate might have soared. 

The reality is it would have felt unbearable. It would have been like the story of Job, where he lost his children and his livestock and his everything in one day, only to be followed up by getting a bad case of the plague. 

How many of us would have responded that God gives and God takes away? How many would have persisted in praising God's name? I'm not doing a poll, but I don’t think the numbers would look good. 

It seems to me that maybe God was giving us a gift by offering us experiences in chunks of 24 hours. Maybe He was on to something when He told us not to worry about tomorrow. 

If we don’t see how unbearable the alternative is, it might be because our lives have been so pain-free. We also may have been unconscious for most of 2020. 

Either way, I’m going to be thankful that the leaves fall over an entire season instead of in one big drop. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...