Skip to main content

The Patience of Pharaoh

Last year I was on a Bible reading plan that would take just 1 year. Many days had me zooming through four and five chapters at a time. It was a great read. But this year I've started a new plan. To say it is a tad slower than last year would be like saying that Katy Perry has skewed just slightly off the path her parents planned for her.

Three months into this year I am in the middle of Exodus. I'm not a math whiz, but 1 book of the Bible each month has me finishing in about 2016. (Though I could probably crush some of those Minor Prophets in less than a month.)

One positive from all this is that I am paying more attention to smaller details. Recently I breezed through the 10 Plagues on Egypt. In Exodus 8, frogs have overtaken the land. Clearly there were no French chefs in the land, because no one seemed to think this was a good thing. But a couple of things stand out in this story.

First of all, why did the Egyptian magicians make more frogs? If they wanted to show their power, why not make the frogs disappear? 'Look Pharaoh, all those frogs that disgust you....we've made more!'

The second interesting detail comes from the resulting conversation. Moses and Pharaoh get together for a little pow-wow. Moses tells Pharaoh that he can choose when the frogs go away. Pharaoh replies, 'Tomorrow.'

Tomorrow?!?

If I had been Moses I might have asked Pharaoh if he was serious. You can choose whenever to get rid of these frogs and you're putting it off until tomorrow? Am I missing something? Aren't these frogs disgusting? Wouldn't you prefer them to be gone, oh say, right now?

Maybe Pharaoh is a big-picture guy. Perhaps he's trying to be cool, not letting on how much it bothers him. 'Frogs? I like frogs. Had a pet frog as a young kid. No problem.' I guess I can see that. After all, this is only the second plague. Perhaps Pharaoh will be less patient after plague #7 or 8.

I know patience is a virtue, but it makes me wonder if there are times when we should be less patient. When I am violently ill I am not patient. The last time I got sick I asked God repeatedly to either take the sickness away or just kill me and get it over with.

But what about those needs that don't impact me today? What about those requests that come to me from friends and family members? Why is it easier for me to ask for patience for someone else in their situation than it is for me in my situation?

What about when I meekly ask God to change something over the next 6 months? Is this wrong? God may have forever, but with my desire for all things deep-fried I am limited to another 40 years here on Earth. Maybe less. Shouldn't I be more urgent in the things I ask for?

The problem in my life is that this forms a habit in me. I put off asking God for things until I am in crisis mode, when I really feel the need. I readily acknowledge I can't make God do even the smallest thing He does not want to do. Yet something tells me I should be more urgent in my asking.

I think there are some key factors that would help motivate us to pray more urgently. It's something to think about and I will be doing so over the next couple of weeks.

What about you? Have you ever put a time-line on God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d