Skip to main content

First Day on the Job

If you've ever had a new job, then you'll understand the feelings that I am about to describe. I've been at my current job for 9 years, so it's been a while, but I remember that new-job smell. I can recall being slightly nervous, whether it was my first ministry job or the first day working at a Dollar General. (Yes, I did that.)

Because of the new-ness of it all, I was always on my best behavior. Not that I have any other kind of behavior. My best listening skills came out as I learned the duties and schedules of my new job. I was always very aware of how I was treating people and doubly aware of the supervisor watching my actions. I believe I'm the type of person that continues to work hard, but being a super-worker seems to be the natural way to start out at a job. Ask questions before trying anything strange with a new employer. Always perform the task in the way it was taught.

But apparently not everyone thinks this way. In Leviticus, quickly becoming a fascinating read for me, we read about God giving Moses and Aaron the run-down of the priestly duties. (Think first-day do's and dont's.)

In Leviticus 9 the priests go to work, performing sacrifices just as God commanded. But then something strange, literally, happens. (At least, as literally as the Message Version states it.) Aaron's son's, Nadab and Abihu, offered a 'strange' fire to God, something God had not commanded to be offered. God, in turn, consumed the boys and they died. One would think they would have waited until at least the second week of work to do something like that. Silly boys!

Ok, first of all, I get why God consumed them with fire. God is holy and this was among the first steps He was taking with His people. God needs the people to know that He means what He says. It's kind of like when I tell my children to listen the first time I say something. Our actions have consequences.

But, secondly, it makes me wonder if we offer 'strange' fire to God. Is this the kind of thing Jesus was referring to when He talked about the Pharisees tithing everything they owned, but neglecting justice? Clearly these religious teachers were just wanting to appear holy, without actually being holy.

Are we guilty of the same? Are there little things that I do 'religiously' that God has not asked for? Am I concerned with aspects of my life that need more attention than the things I spend my time on? Does this mean I shouldn't be saving every church bulletin from every church service I have ever been to? But what if I've categorized them by sermon topic and cross referenced them by number of hymns sung?

What if, in our own post-modern fashion, we've begun to perform many seemingly good tasks that are just 'strange' fire to God? Are we prepared for the consequences to consume us? Are we more consumed with looking like we love Jesus, or actually loving Jesus?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wes admits that this is big struggle for him at school...its easier to play the christian guy than to actually live it out! But I pray that God will help me! :)
Rick Nier said…
Did you jump from speaking about yourself in the third person to...not? That's cool, Rick prays the same way.

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d