Skip to main content

Who Is This Really About?

I have a cousin who was once an extra for a big movie. Let me re-state that. I have a friend whose cousin's sister's best friend was once an extra in a made-for-TV movie. Yeah, that's right. I have connections to Hollywood. You may now commence admiring me.

Have you ever been in a conversation with someone like that? They know someone who knows someone who landed a spot in a big crowded scene of a movie. "Yeah, I was the third person to the left of the truck in the way back when (insert real star here) went walking by. You have to look real close and be sure not to blink, but I'm there."

It's not exactly the 'big break' that we make it out to be, is it? And yet we'll talk for years about that one scene, especially if it was us in the scene. Then maybe we'll talk about it for a lifetime. Thinking about this led me to this question;

Have you ever watched a movie and hoped it was about one of the extras? Of course not. It would be sheer madness to go to a movie and then be upset when they did not show enough about the extras.I really wanted to know more about taxi driver #3.

So why do we do that in life? We make life to be about us, when it's not. We become exceedingly frustrated when we do not see enough time and energy spent on ourselves. But we rarely see that the frustration stems from a plot that has been stolen and made to be about a stage hand or a stuntman or yes...an extra.

Because, after all, this story is not about us. I hate to be the one to break it to everyone, but...we are the extras. Hi, I'm random guy #5,397,427.

One of my favorite verses is found in Paul's letter to the Colossians.

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. ~Colossians 2:16-17
The reality is Jesus Christ! He is the mega-star that this whole story is about. Up to this verse, Paul has been going over how we need to live our lives in Jesus. We need to not be fooled by other 'extras' who try to divert our attention. After all, it's not about them either. Who is this really about?

It should be enough to us that we are even allowed in the same story. But we should never become confused and think that we are co-stars. We are the extras. Our significance is found in Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d