Skip to main content

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions


Decisions, decisions, decisions. 

Do you ever get tired of choosing? Everywhere we turn we have options. Yes, it gives us freedom to personalize everything, but we’ve eliminated simple. Take coffee for example. I don’t drink the sludge, but it appears ordering  cup involves 17 mini-decisions. Sizes, spices, toppings and choice of your first child’s name is just too much when ordering a drink. Just give me a hot chocolate. Done.

Deciding to order pizza used to be easy as well. Pick a topping and you were done. Now I have options on toppings, cheese, sauce and even what they do with the crust. Just make me a pizza.

And forget about buying a cell phone or computer. My head explodes when I see all the choices that have to be made there. I’d like to be done with choosing. But that presents a problem as well. If we don’t make decisions about life, then options will be chosen for us.

We consume, on average, over 7 hours of media every day. I’m not sure we’ve factored in the Amish in those statistics, but regardless. We devour a lot of media. How do we decide what to allow?

Decisions.

It’s nothing new that we have to choose. Adam and Eve had a choice. And we’ve been reminded of the same simple choice throughout the Scriptures.   

There is the plain, and obvious, choice laid out for the Israelites.
This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.  ~Deuteronomy 30:19
There was the charge given by Joshua.
But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15
Even David reminded us of our choices, in song.
Who, then, are those who fear the LORD? He will instruct them in the ways they should choose. ~Psalm 25:12
And then there was James, who didn’t seem to worry how he came across.
You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. ~James 4:4
Since God chose us (John 15:16, Ephesians 1:4) it seems fair that we have to make a choice as well. So who will you choose? When it comes to making decisions about our media consumption let’s keep in mind that what we choose to put in our minds reveals who, or Whom, we have chosen to serve. 

How do you make your choices?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...