Skip to main content

There is a 'Meat' in Team

There is no 'I' in team. But there is an 'I' in win. And if you rearrange the letters in the word team you could spell me. Yeah, we could go round and round like this. Did you realize there is meat in team. Does that do anyone any good? I doubt it. 

I think our spelling gymnastics are beside the point. The fact is that we can make everything about us, which is the exact opposite of what a team should be.

I believe there are two important things to remember when it comes to teamwork.

Teamwork has a price.
So Elijah went from there and found Elisha son of Shaphat. He was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair. Elijah went up to him and threw his cloak around him. Elisha then left his oxen and ran after Elijah. “Let me kiss my father and mother goodbye,” he said, “and then I will come with you.”
   “Go back,” Elijah replied. “What have I done to you?”
So Elisha left him and went back. He took his yoke of oxen and slaughtered them. He burned the plowing equipment to cook the meat and gave it to the people, and they ate. Then he set out to follow Elijah and became his servant. ~1 Kings 19:19-21

What did following Elijah cost to Elisha? He said good-bye to his parents. He destroyed his farming equipment. In fact, he slaughtered the 12 pair of oxen. That he had 12 pair of oxen shows he came from a wealthy family.
But Elisha destroyed it all. It was signifying that he would not be returning to the family business. I do not believe that most of us would have done that. We might decide to do something, but we would simply store everything, in case we wanted to come back to it.
Are we willing to pay the price?

Teamwork has a prize.
When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?”
“Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,” Elisha replied.
“You have asked a difficult thing,” Elijah said, “yet if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours—otherwise, it will not.”~2 Kings 2:9-10
Here we have what is a somewhat sad story of the last time Elijah and Elisha were together on Earth. Elijah is called by God to go to Bethel, but it would appear as if everybody knew Elijah was about to be taken away by God. So Elisha decides he will not leave Elijah’s side.
Elijah asks what he can do and Elisha does a bold thing. He asks for a double portion of the spirit in Elijah. And that is exactly what happens. Elisha watches as Elijah is taken up in a whirlwind to Heaven. And the Bible records twice as many miracles performed by Elisha as performed by Elijah.

Elisha was committed to the team and to the cause. For that he received a double portion of the spirit when Elijah left.
Are we ready for the prize? When is the last time you sacrificed for the greater good of a team and saw it pay off with a prize?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...