Skip to main content

Your Suffering Is Not About You

Sunday night I was talking to my teens about suffering and persecution, making sure they realized it wasn't about them. It can be easy to make statements in our 'classroom', while safe from the outside world.

Then Monday morning hits. Bam! Pow!

Surely there's nothing inherently evil about Monday mornings, but it sure felt that way when a day without obligation for myself turned into a day lying in pain on the couch after throwing out my back. Get this, it happened as I was putting exercise equipment away after having used it. Shouldn't exercise make my already rock-hard core even stronger? I digress.

Clearly that is an attempt at sympathy and not a real example of persecution, but I did ask why, while writhing for a position that would be bring semi-relief. But what do Jesus and His man, The Rock, have to say about persecution.

Well, Jesus said that persecutions make us blessed (Matthew 5:10-12). He said that His followers should expect persecution (Mark 8:31-38). Oh, and anyone who leaves what they know behind should expect to get it all back hundred-fold, along with persecutions (Mark 10:29-31).

Peter, Jesus' right-hand man, had quite a bit to say about persecution and suffering in his first letter. Perhaps because he knew a thing or two about what it actually meant. Or maybe because he didn't want Christians being soft. Peter said we should be certain that our persecution is for the right reason and not something we deserved (1 Peter 2:18-22). Furthermore, it's a badge of honor since those who suffer are done with the sin-game and are actually shocking unbelievers because of their disinterest in joining in sinful practices (1 Peter 4:1-5). Then he goes further to instruct that suffering should lead us to praise God (1 Peter 4:12-19).

And don't forget that Jimmy said we should consider it joy when we face trials (James 1:2-8).

In the end, suffering for any reason isn't about you. If the suffering is in the name of Jesus, then we should put two and two together and realize it's about Jesus. His name, His deal. Or, it's like Jud Wilhite wrote in his introduction to Torn... There are more important questions, namely who will we turn to in our time of need and how will we move forward.

See, suffering isn't that bad. Not mine, not yours. Like most everything else, the suffering we endure is insignificant compared to the good God has in store for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d