Skip to main content

JESUS & the Samaritan Woman


This is the next in a series of lessons I am sharing with our preschool kids at church. I love telling stories about Jesus. 

I have a question that is just for the girls. Ladies, have you ever thought that boys just kind of smell funny?

Now I have a question for the boys. Boys, don’t you think girls are just kind of weird?

Well, it is true that boys and girls are different from one another. But can boys and girls still be friends and play together?

I think they can. I have another story about Jesus to share with you and this one involves a cup of water.

Jesus and His friends were travelling from Judea to Galilee. But they didn't have cars back then. And most people didn't have horses to ride on. No bikes or skates either. So when they went somewhere, they had to walk. To get from Judea to Galilee would take 2 & ½ days.

Can you imagine walking for 2 & ½ days? (I think Jesus leading the disciples around would have been similar to a teacher leading a class full of preschoolers.)

It was a lot of walking and they would have been hot…and tired. So they stopped in a place called Samaria. Most of the people Jesus hung around with didn't like the people in Samaria. They were different. They probably thought they smelled kind of funny. But Jesus loves everyone.

So Jesus’ friends went in to buy some cheeseburgers while He waited by a well. (A well was where people got water.) While Jesus was waiting, a woman came out to get water. Jesus asked her for a drink. But this surprised the woman because Jesus was a boy and she was a girl. Plus, Jesus was Jewish and she was from Samaria. She was surprised that Jesus would even talk with her.

But Jesus loves everybody.

Jesus kept talking to this woman and He told her why He was there and what He wanted to talk about. In fact, Jesus was so friendly with this girl that she went and got all her friends and family together to come learn from Jesus.

So Jesus stayed around, making new friends and showing everyone how much God loved them. But it wouldn't have happened if Jesus hadn't been willing to become friends with someone who was different from Him.

God loves all the world. He wants us to love everybody as well. In fact, when we love people, we are showing them that God’s love is for everybody.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...