Skip to main content

Be Strong in the Lord

At our church we have a preschool. As one of the pastors, I go in about twice a month and lead a chapel time, where I share a teaching with them. In the past few years, I have found a list of verses to bring a focus for the entire year. For example, I've done the Fruit of the Spirit, 1 Corinthians 13, and one year I told them many stories of Jesus interacting with people. Each year, we work on memorizing several verses along the way.

And even though these kids are all age 2 through age 5, they can do a great job.

This year, I've decided to go through the Armor of God with them, found in Ephesians 6:10-18. I'll post them here, or at least some printable version of what I say here.

Be strong in the Lord. 

That's where we started. I came in, complete with sweatbands around my head and wrists, and told the kids I was getting swole for Jesus, because the Bible said to be strong in the Lord.

As the silliness subsided, I talked to them about depending on God for their strength. It struck me that this age group might not struggle with this teaching, since they depend on stronger people all the time to do basically everything. Those stronger people are usually family members, teachers, older siblings.

They are used to depending on others to accomplish anything, so I wasn't expecting a huge response or an altar call. Really, it's we adults who assume we can do whatever needs to be done. We have meetings, to-do lists, and if we're parents, we have people depending on our strength.

So, I shared it with the kids, but I'm sharing it here as well, because I think we all need to be reminded of where our real power to accomplish anything of worth is really to be found.

"Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power."

Here's the rest of what I said to the kids...

How do we show that we depend on God? If we are in a car and we’re going super fast, do we say we’re able to run that fast? No, we say the car can go that fast. And we just to get to go along for the ride.

If our dads lift us up and we touch the ceiling, do we say we can jump high enough to touch the ceiling? No, we say our dad is tall enough to help us reach.

The same is true of God. He gives us lots of things, like power. But God doesn’t give us that stuff so we can brag about ourselves. When we see beautiful things in the world, we don’t say that we created those things. We thank God for creating those things. So when we can do good things for someone, we know that power also comes from God.

I believe that God supplies power for all of us to good things, to accomplish all He wants us to do. And we’re going to learn all about how we can depend on His power this year in chapel.

‘Be strong in the Lord.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...