Skip to main content

I Was At A Loss

I got the privilege of preaching this past Sunday. This was just the intro...if you like it, I may post more of it later this week. 

Do you want to hear one of the saddest verses in all the Bible? Let me tell you a story.

Paul had been arrested for preaching Jesus and he is being tossed from one court to another as Roman judges spent their time coaxing one another's egos and skirting around justice by passing the question of what to do with Paul on to each other. In Acts 25, we find Paul standing trial before Festus, who is planning to pass him along to Caesar. Before he does, King Agrippa comes along and they discuss Paul's case. Festus admits that Paul's case has to do with religion.

17 “When his accusers came here for the trial, I didn’t delay. I called the case the very next day and ordered Paul brought in. 18 But the accusations made against him weren’t any of the crimes I expected.19 Instead, it was something about their religion and a dead man named Jesus, who Paul insists is alive. 20 I was at a loss to know how to investigate these things, so I asked him whether he would be willing to stand trial on these charges in Jerusalem. ~Acts 25

Did you catch it? "I was at a loss to know how to investigate these things."

We have this guy, who was intelligent enough to become a judge, a governor in the Roman Empire (and I'm going to leave aside all of the political jokes running through my head). Festus had judged other cases, and as history records it, he showed wisdom in governing.

But when it comes to matters of religion...he is "at a loss to know how to investigate these things."

When it comes to knowing what is true or false "about a dead man named Jesus who Paul claimed was alive", he had no clue how to figure it out.

Festus had before him a guy whom we refer to as one of the greatest missionaries the world has ever known, but Festus has no idea how to proceed.

What questions should I ask? How can I verify who is making up their story? Does Paul belong in a looney bin? Are the religious leaders accusing Paul simply jealous of their waning influence over other people who acknowledged the truth of Jesus? Festus is "at a loss".

We are less than 50 years from when Jesus lived, died, and rose again. The church is exploding in growth around the Roman Empire, largely because of Paul, and one of the Roman governors doesn't know "how to investigate these things."

The man has no direction in discovering truth...or at least in accepting it when he heard it. This got me thinking. How many people does this describe in our world today?

  • How many people are as God described the Ninevites, unable to discern their right from their left? 
  • How many people are so engaged with our polytheistic culture, that to single out one truth as absolute, would be an impossibility?
  • How many people are so persuaded by lies of sin, entangled in what they must have, must keep, must use, that to consider an alternative would seem disastrous?
  • How many people are so stuck in their habits and comforts, that to investigate such matters would be very uncomfortable?

How many people can't seem to figure out the most basics of truth (am I a boy or a girl? how did God make me?)? People struggling with the basics who try to answer questions about creation, purpose, truth and absolutes, will seem to be in deeper waters than they can swim.

Is there any hope for them?

If only there were an organization that could handle such matters. Of course, it would have to be filled with people. It would need to be global. It would need people who are dedicated and committed to a cause greater than themselves. Perhaps something where they meet each week, and throughout, to encourage one another, to grow in their faith, and then to be prepared and ready to provide the answers to people's questions. 

If only such an organization existed. 

Sigh...if only.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d