Skip to main content

I Have Just One Resolution

One does not have to ever look at a calendar to know that a new year is upon us. You only have to watch for the Top 10 lists. Each year we are inundated with lists ranking people, music, shows, planets, species, colors and anything else you can imagine. I even found the following online.

Top 10 Dumbest Online Business Ideas That Made It Big Time
Top 10 Facts About Top 10 Facts
The Top 10 Weirdest USB Drives Ever

I'm really excited about that last one. I was concerned that I might never know which USB drive ranked #1 on the weirdness scale.

Despite our need to rank and rate everything, I do think this time of year comes with a benefit. The fact is that another year has gone by. We won't get 2010 back no matter how much we may want another shot. The turning of the calendar forces us to look forward.

I've entered new years with moderate success. Sometimes I make no list at all. Other years I have made a list that would rival any government document. This year I believe I will just have one.

I want to see myself as God sees me.

I'm finishing the 1-year Bible reading plan. It was set up chronologically, which gave some new insights. But the end brought the expected; a jaunt through the book of Revelation. I've made it a little past the letters to the 7 Churches. Here's what I found.

Just after the somewhat famous statement by Jesus to the Church in Laodicea about being lukewarm, He continues;

"You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see" Revelation 3:17-18.

They saw themselves in one way. But it turns out that Jesus' view of them was drastically different. That's a problem. It is entirely possible to walk through this life thinking I am doing ok, then find out that I was wrong....big time wrong.

I've had my experiences of finding out people saw me differently than I see me. In some ways, this made high school easier, because people were quite clear with me just what size of dork I was. But among adults, that kind of information can be like finding out the truth about Area 51. You have a pretty good guess, but you could be wrong.

Even scarier to me is the idea that Jesus might not see me like I see me. This list He gives the Laodiceans is not just a little off. They think they are ok and Jesus tells them they are "wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked." You'd think you might catch some of that and realize you were naked.

I can set all the goals for myself that I want. They won't make a difference in the end if I do not have a true God's-eye view of my life. One goal will certainly be easier to keep track of this year. I have a feeling it will keep me busy.

How about you? Do you have any New Year's goals or resolutions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...