Skip to main content

When vs If

I could endanger myself writing such blasphemous words here in Indiana, but I think the Indianapolis Colts may not make the playoffs. To redeem myself in the eyes of Manning-fans the state over, I'll add that if they make the playoffs, I would not doubt their ability to win.

But this is a far cry from how Colts fans have talked for the past decade. The words have always been 'when the Colts make the playoffs.' But not this year. This year is if, not when.

That's an important distinction, I think. It is one we as Christians would be wise to consider when reading the Bible. There are many times that we find an expectation written down that we treat as a choice. The Sermon on the Mount comes to mind as I think of Jesus' words of instruction concerning 'when' we pray, fast and give. That's an expectation from God Himself that we would be praying, fasting and giving.

I came across another verse that is written less as a command but would be good of us to consider.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? Psalm 8:3-4
Granted, this isn't written as 'Thou shalt gaze upon the skies and ask questions of identity'. But maybe it should be.

Think about this in other parts of your world.
  • When your children are obedient, they will learn discipline and see order in their lives.
  • When teens study in school, they will learn things they did not previously know.
  • When your Aunt brings that 3-bean casserole, there will be inner weeping.
There are more that could be listed, but consider that an exasperated parent or teacher will look at the first two in that list and exclaim, 'If only!' There is a big difference between when and if.

If I considered the heavens, I might be forced to think about how small I am.

If I considered the work of God's fingers, I may have to concede that He is a wonderful designer.

If I paused on a clear night to look up at a full moon and a blanket of stars, it might give me reason to wonder like I did as a child.

If I actually stopped to consider who God is and what He has done, then thought about myself in relation to God, I might have to ask the same questions David asked. Who am I? Why does God care about me?

I do not know if the Colts will make the playoffs, but I do know that when I consider the heavens and everything else, I am quite thankful for the God who loves me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...