Skip to main content

Sun Stand Still

Joshua is probably best known as the guy who followed Moses. And how do you follow something like the Exodus? By opening a can and owning the Promised Land. People hear Joshua and they think Jericho. I have to admit, it's good stuff.

But there was way more to Josh's life than shouting his way to victory. 40 years before he rocked all over Jericho, he was being outvoted and sent back into the desert. Much like B.A. Baraccus and the rest of the A-Team, he was forced to wander for a crime he did not commit. I hadn't really thought before about how up and down his life was. He was on the verge of entering the Promised Land and then was pulled back to a nomadic lifestyle.

I often have a flare for the dramatic. When I dream, I like to dream big. But there are people who make me wonder if perhaps I dream too small. Maybe I don't have enough faith in God. What if I continually make Him to be small, or place Him in a box, or...or....choose your very own overused sentiment?

Yeah, I have to admit that it was all possible. But simply reading Stephen Furtick's book, Sun Stand Still, would change all that, right? Not so fast.

I've been around the evangelical block enough times to be tainted. Sure, amazing things happened and were recorded in the Bible. I believe those stories. Even the most miraculous, like Joshua simply praying for the Sun to stand still for an extra day's time, the story which gave this book its' title.

If God could do it then, certainly He could do it today. I believe that. And yet, I still struggled at points in this book. Some of it was terminology. One of Stephen's central terms was Page 23 Vision, based on the page number of another book from which he first caught his vision for his own life. The theme was so central, it made me wonder if I should be reading that other book instead.

I must also admit, I had to question if his story could relate. As he shared about his struggles early on with trusting his vision to come true and the years he questioned God and himself, it was hard to imagine that his struggle was all that bad. After all, he was writing from the other side at the age of 29. That may sound harsh, but how does the person who has been working the dead end job for at least 30 years get hope from that? Imagine the man or woman who has never even dared to dream taking this book to heart.

On the other hand, all that could very well be said about the Bible itself. After all, we read about a God who has everything offering what He has to a people who have nothing. We read of God's Son coming down, wowing people with His teaching and His power, then telling us we will do greater things.

Sensational? You better believe it! But what if it's true? What if we've underestimated all the dark, long and lonely parts of people's stories and overestimated what the light at the end of the tunnel looked like?

What would happen if we were to take the promises as serious as God did when He gave them? After all, many people have grabbed hold of that hope and changed their lives, as well as those around them.

Why not us? Why not now? Why not look at this coming year and imagine what could be instead of moaning about what is?

It's not the only book of its kind, but Stephen Furtick has written with confidence, the same kind that we should be living with. Let me add that I think Stephen is very self-aware of what he's talking about and how people may(or may not) respond. I also found that much of what was offered was very down-to-earth, not an easy accomplishement considering the book is about the miraculous things God can do in our lives.

This book was provided for free for the sake of review by my besties over at Waterbrook / Multnomah Publishing. You can purchase this book for yourself here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d