Skip to main content

Chasing Francis

I was recently given Chasing Francis by Ian Cron to review. When reading that it was about St Francis of Assisi, I figured it might be interesting. And I was not disappointed. This is novel meets history. And I enjoyed both aspects greatly. Here was the description;

In his debut work, Cron shares a Franciscan vision for the postmodern church. The book is a story about a disillusioned pastor whose faith is restored by the
teachings of St. Francis during a pilgrimage to Italy.

“St. Francis is the consummate saint for the times we live in,” claims Cron, who came to know about St. Francis’s life at the height of a spiritual crisis. “He was the first environmentalist whose theology of creation is still unparalleled, a Christian
activist who radically identified with the poor and oppressed. He led the first
transcontinental peace delegation to make peace with Muslims during the
Crusades.

He worshiped with all the abandon of a Pentecostal, saw the world through the eyes of a mystic, prayed like a contemplative, possessed the sacramental sensibility of a Catholic, and focused on saving souls like a passionate Evangelical. He embodies all the practices and values found in almost every theological stream. Is sit any wonder he’s been called 'the last Christian'?”

The story involves Chase Falson, a mega-church pastor, who has a crisis of faith, in front of his congregation in mid-sermon. This causes concern from the elders who give him an extended vacation. Invited by his uncle, a friar, he flies to Italy to visit the ghost of St. Francist.

The story is simple and believable. Church crises abound. As a youth pastor myself, the one part that left me wondering was how Ian painted the youth pastor at the mega-church as a political player. Let the record state that I love my senior pastor and would never angle for his job. (Someone should really pass this along to him, as it would be awkward coming straight from me.)

You'll have to read it yourself to see how the novel plays out, but Ian does a great job of weaving historical fact of St. Francis into the story. We find out much of the way Francis lived and what he taught. We even get a fairly in-depth look at how he viewed the purpose of the Church.

Ian Cron is a pastor himself, but he may also be a prophet. It is interesting how the Church in the 13th century and the Church today are all too similar, and not in a good way. Through great story-telling, Ian paints a picture of what the Church is, but also of what it could be.

I was given Chasing Francis for the sake of review by the good people at SpeakEasy.

Ian Cron’s blog: http://www.iancron.com/

#ChasingFrancisSpeakEasy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d