Skip to main content

Don't Act Like That!

Don't act like that! 

These are the words I say to my children every day. Every. Single. Day. 

Of course, what never gets old is having my children stare at me blankly and ask why their behavior is inappropriate. 

Do you really have to ask? They do, apparently. This is where my answers vary, depending on the situation or the place. 

Don't act like that because it's wrong.
This is the primary reason, as my children get a steady diet of what we believe God teaches to be right behavior (attached to a right heart, of course) and the streaming pile of intolerable actions that come from their sinful black hearts. (Pardon my dark ages piety coming out right there.)

Don't act like that because someone is going to get hurt.
This is also a staple around my house, as someone is always seeming to get hurt. Them, me, innocent bystanders. 

Don't act like that because it's embarrassing. 
It might not be embarrassing to them....yet, though it should be. It will be when I produce photo and video evidence later in their teen years. (Yeah, our kids just liked to dance naked all the time.)
Even if it doesn't, or won't embarrass them, it probably does me.
  • Chasing your sister with a bat around the yard does not endear us to neighbors.
  • Sliding along the freshly mopped aisles of the grocery store does not endear us to the workers.  
  • Asking questions about bathroom-related events does not endear us to...well....anybody.
If you think that reminders to not act like that are done once we pass on to adulthood, then I have some news for you. Ummm....It doesn't!

Don’t let those who trust in you be ashamed because of me,    O Sovereign Lord of Heaven’s Armies.Don’t let me cause them to be humiliated,    O God of Israel. ~Psalm 69:6

Let's be real for a moment. We in the Christian community can't seem to go more than a week without seeing some story that makes all of us look foolish. For those on any social network on the internet, it's probably more like every hour. 

But it happens in our local communities. It happens in our churches. Go ahead, just ask your pastor if every person in their church is acting in a way that makes them want to put their picture up on a billboard, alerting everyone around to that person being connected with the rest of us. 

Now ask yourself if you are acting in a way that could be causing embarrassment. If there's a chance you're not as holy as you thought yourself to be, you might want to pray David's prayer in Psalm 69. Seriously God, don't let me do something so awesomely big and wrong as to cause others to ashamed of me, my church or of you, my God!

If only all believers would pray that every day before leaving the house. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...