Skip to main content

When vs If

Ahh, the New Year! It's such a great time, isn't it? Especially if you have young children and are still privy to things like an extended Christmas break. For us, on those years when no vacation destination is planned, it involves an extra bit of time for rest and relaxation.

It means longer days of playing with new Christmas presents. It means uninterrupted time to catch up on movies and TV shows clogging my DVR. Of course, that also mean the wife watching more Hallmark movies than should be legal.

But, extended break or not, for many this transitioning of years also gives us pause to think about what we want to do different. Change, of course, can come at any point, but this year brings the desire out, at least for a couple of days.

At this point, a couple of weeks into January, New Year's resolutions may be a distant memory for you. After all, last year worked out okay, right? But allow me to drop a thought or two into your think tank, if you will.

I have often been intrigued by the word when as it is used in the Bible. Not every instance, as a search for the word at Biblegateway.com garnered more results than Google would for Miley's mishaps. Often the word when is used as a transition in a story. But other times when is used as part of a teaching. Consider the following;

When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do. ~Matthew 6:2
When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites. ~Matthew 6:5
When you pray, don’t babble on and on. ~Matthew 6:7
And when you fast, don’t make it obvious. ~Matthew 6:16

Jesus doesn't use the word if. We can get all worked up about how we do these spiritual practices, but for many, it never happens. But that wasn't Jesus' expectation. He used the when, assuming that followers of God would be doing these things. That's why He spent some time talking about how we should do these things.

But Jesus wasn't the first to make this distinction. David did so back in Psalm 8.

When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which you have set in place... ~Psalm 8:3
When is the last time you took to consider? When is the last time you looked beyond yourself and thought about God? When is the last time one of your resolutions included a thought about what God might want? 

Because, without this time of considering done by David, he might not have penned the rest of Psalm 8. 

What is mankind that you are mindful of them,
human beings that you care for them?
You have made them a little lower than the angels
and crowned them with glory and honor.
You made them rulers over the works of your hands;
you put everything under their feet: all flocks and herds,
and the animals of the wild, the birds in the sky,
and the fish in the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas.
Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! ~Psalm 8:4-9
That's something we should always remember, if only we would take the time to consider. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d