Skip to main content

Strangers At My Door

I'd read enough about this book and the author to expect that I would feel convicted, the holier-than-thou way of saying I thought I might feel guilty. You know, comparing one guy's sacrificial lifestyle to mine own, feeling that mine fell short. I do this often, in many situations, assuming that God has called all of us to do the exact same thing, even though gifting and situations are vastly different.

I suppose it's a good thing I choose to read the insides of these books as well.

Strangers At My Door by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove is a good choice for a read. You might recognize his name as being connected with Shane Claiborne as these two founded the New Monastic movement, focusing on intentional rhythms each day of prayer and community. They do this while living in hospitality houses, communities they have intentionally made to welcome anyone who might knock on the door.

And that's exactly who and what you'll find in this book. The stories of many interesting and various people who have knocked on the door of Jonathan and his wife Leah's North Carolina house. Listen to his own definition of what they have there:

We are an extended family of sorts - a broad community of married and single people with different work schedules and skill sets, all committed to sharing what we have and making a life together. We are not a shelter, maximizing our resources to most efficiently meet the pressing need. We area  community - a peculiar sort of family - that must maintain a delicate balance between guests and hosts, employed and unemployed, workers and visionaries, do-ers and be-ers. Growth requires not only more space but also more people who can be successfully integrated into our family system. (pg79)

You won't get preachy reasons from Jonathan on starting your own community. You won't even read about the nitty gritty details of how they make this lifestyle work and manage to pay all the bills.

What Jonathan offers is story after story of the people who have come and how they have changed his life and his perspective. He doesn't paint himself as a hero or a savior to this community. Showing faults along the way, he writes about the lessons learned by all in this multicultural and multiracial family, something we can all take away as lessons in getting along with our neighbors.

Like I said a few paragraphs ago, reading a book like this can cause one to feel the need to start their own hospitality house in their own town. And maybe more need to do that. But that's not the only thing one can learn from this book. Perhaps learning about a greater capacity to love one another would be a great take-away for anyone who takes the time, not just to read this book, but to consider the opportunities we have whenever we come across a stranger.

After all, it was Jesus who said that He was a stranger, and it is up to us to let Him in.

I received this book for free from my good friends at Waterbrook Multnomah. They ask that I say something about the book, but assure me it doesn't have to be nice. You can purchase this book at http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/. You can also check out more info at the following sites;


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...