Skip to main content

39 Things I Am Thankful For

Every so often it behooves us to write down a list of the things we are thankful for. Why now? Because it is my birthday today! Why 39 things? No reason at all.

Without further adieu, here are the 39 things I am thankful for:


  1. Jesus. You didn't seriously expect a pastor to start anywhere else, do you? As you can read here on a regular basis, I readily acknowledge my insignificance without Jesus.
  2. My wife. No intelligent husband would put his wife any lower on such a list. I could give non-sarcastic reasons, but then this post becomes really long and sappy. Plus, Jennifer would wonder who actually write this. 
  3. My oldest daughter. The older the get, the more fun they get.
  4. My son. Just knowing there's a mini me to inflict on the world makes me happy.
  5. My youngest daughter. It's a little scary just how quickly she is taking on my sarcastic wit. 
  6. My home. 
  7. My vehicles.
  8. Even my scooter. I know exactly what I look like when I ride it. But when I can drive over 100 miles without filling up, I stop caring what I look like. 
  9. My job. Yeah, it's crazy, but I do enjoy 88.7% of it.
  10. My calling. Yes, it matches up with my job right now, but it's not something I take for granted. 
  11. Cheesecake. Especially the kind my wife makes for my birthday, Reese's Peanut Butter Cheesecake.
  12. Other foods. I punish myself with exercise, but don't be fooled. I love to eat!
  13. My co-workers. I don't resent going into the office, which is more than some people can say.
  14. My office. It has a lot of touch of me in there, with a Star Wars clock and Superhero action figures (not dolls).
  15. My parents. The upbringing they gave me and the discipline they instilled in me cannot be overstated. 
  16. My sisters. It's amazing how the annoying girls of my childhood have become fun to talk to. Who knew?
  17. My extended family. You have to know I have stopped putting things in order of importance at this point. 
  18. Even my wife's side of the family. If nothing else, they accept my craziness. 
  19. My church family. Again, they accept my more insane moments and normally laugh it off.
  20. My tech. I love how it makes work easier. But I do love to play with this stuff too.
  21. Wazoo. I have this friend from high school. He knows who he is. He makes the Biblical passages about friends and brothers make sense to me. 
  22. Facebook. Yeah I know all the reasons it's evil, but do any of you have a better way of keeping up with so many friends and family in such a convenient way?
  23. Mealtime conversations. You'd be surprised what comes up over a plate of tacos. 
  24. Clothing. Like Will Smith, the difference between you and me is that I make this look good. 
  25. Exercise. Not only do I need it to keep up my habit of eating, it makes me feel good. 
  26. My youth group. There's nothing like an army from the next generation, rising up.
  27. My volunteer team. Teaming other adults with children and teens is nothing short of awesome. 
  28. Music. I very much see life with a soundtrack.
  29. My guitar. Like Wayne's friend Garth, I like to play. 
  30. Basketball. Playing it. Watching it. Talking about it.
  31. Power tools. Not that I know what I'm doing with them (I'm actually sort of dangerous with them in my hands) but they are handy to have around. 
  32. My kids playing sports. Even though we run into those parents, little girls playing soccer is fun and funny to watch, like a bunch of kittens chasing a ball of yarn. 
  33. Books. There's s much to learn.  
  34. The universe. Seriously, I love thinking about how immense God's creation is, so much so that it boggles my mind.  
  35. Housework. Cleaning a toilet keeps you humble. Plus the entirety of housework gives you opportunity to teach your children teamwork. 
  36. Yard work. Not because I enjoy it...at all....but at least you can see instant results from your hard work.  
  37. Art. Pictures, sculptures...it's all beyond my ability to make, but fun to marvel at. 
  38.  Entertainment. TV, movies, blog posts, apps...whatever. Life is fun. 
  39. My list is over. You're probably mighty thankful as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d