Skip to main content

Ministry Monday: Playing Basketball is Like Church Involvement

My basketball game is like my church involvement; I'm the worst player out there. 

Allow me to go deeper. When I show up to play ball with some guys, sometimes the only positive I bring is making the teams even. I don't mean by picking the teams or by skill level. I mean they would have an uneven number of guys without me. 

Oh, I have a few moves. I make a few shots. Even a blind dog can find the hydrant every once in a while. But in terms of skill level, I'm not bringing a whole lot to the table. 

The same goes at church. 

I do make the teams even.
Okay, even in this sense is different, because not all churches have the same attendance. But what they do share in common is that never has a church had everyone show up on the same Sunday. I'm making that factoid up, but seriously, could you imagine. 

Let me tell you an insider secret to being a pastor. We all have the same conversation with our spouse after every Sunday. It goes like this;

Hey honey, I didn't see _______. Then we imagine what church would be like if everyone showed up. When I say the teams are even in church, it would be more apt to say complete. If every person matters, then it matters whether or not we show up.

I do change the outlook of the game.
Closely related to making the teams even, each person changes the outlook of the game. In basketball, it may mean my skill turnovers will mean a loss for my team. 

But in church, it means that every gift God has intended to be there will be there, working together to reveal God's love to other people, who each have their own gift. If each person is a part of the body of Christ, as Paul pointed out in 1 Corinthians 12, then every church is missing body parts on any given Sunday. 

I do give my all, no matter what. 
There is really no getting around this point. On the court, I can hustle and try really hard to score, rebound and defend. The 2 or 3 points I score are 2 or 3 points more than my team might have had. 

In Church, the math works even easier. We give our best and we trust God to do the rest. The Apostle Paul said as much in 1 Corinthians 3:7 when he wrote that we're all insignificant except for God, who makes things grow. 


So it would seem that your involvement in church is much like my involvement in basketball. It is valuable for us, and for everyone else, that we show up, no matter what we think of our game. If only God's promise to make things grow also included my height.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...