Skip to main content

A When-Then Kind of Life

Most of us live in a what-if kind of dream world. I don't mean that in the way most children dream. As kids, do you recall dreaming about what you would do if you won a million dollars? This is not the kind of dreaming I mean. 

We're adults, right? Our dreams are perhaps a bit more grounded. (I said perhaps, because I know someone out there is still dreaming of that million dollars.) We dream about what we will do if certain things happen. For instance;

  • I'll go grocery shopping if it stops raining.
  • I'll have plans on Friday if somebody invites me to something.  
Our dreams, to varying degrees, are based on things that could actually happen. But the mass effect of this kind of realistic day-dreaming is that we daydream multiple possibilities for our day, our week, our month and even into our distant future.

  • I'll move to Chicago if I get a job there.
  • I'll marry that girl if I work up the courage to ask her out.
There's only one problem with this kind of thinking. (Or there's only one problem I'll mention.) This manner of planning leaves us in the driver's seat, with no need for a touch from God to ensure success. 

Whatever happened to asking God what needed to be done and then acting accordingly? Whatever happened to taking a step of faith and then watching for God to move? Because if He didn't, we might fall flat on our faces. And if God isn't a factor, then what are we doing with our lives anyway?

There was a guy that lived this way, though you may only be familiar with his son. If you even glance at the book of Judges, you will see a mostly derelict group of leaders over Israel, and Samson just might top the list. This guy was every bad stereotype of a jock rolled into one. And as a former band nerd, I hold plenty of stereotypes. 

But Samson's dad?

In Judges 13, the Lord appears to Manoah's wife and tells her of this miracle baby she's about to have. She in turn tells Manoah, who prays for the angel to come back so he could hear it for himself. God obliges and, after a few pleasantries, Manoah gets down to business. 

“When your words come true, what kind of rules should govern the boy’s life and work?” ~Judges 13:12

Did you catch it? Manoah didn't begin making contingency plans. If we have a baby we will do this. If we don't, we'll do that. He didn't begin daydreaming about what might possibly come to fruition. He did not use the word if. He used the word when

More of us should live in expectation as Manoah did when told he and his wife would have a baby.
He said "when your words come true."  We have been given many promises from God. We have multiple opportunities and gifts to match. 

Instead of living by a rule of if...then, I believe it is time for us to begin living a when...then kind of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d