Skip to main content

Ministry Monday - You Don't Want This Job

My pastor is going through a series of messages from the book of James. Recently he hit on chapter 3, which starts out this way;

Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged more strictly.
Now, it's not like I ever get distracted during a sermon, but here's what went through my mind.

1. Is Jimmy basically saying "you don't want this job?"

Any pastor can tell you the practical application of this verse. Judged more strictly? You bet! Because anyone sitting in the pews knows what we could have been done better. It's like armchair quarterbacks. Every guy who watches quarterbacks can look at the screen and yell about the throw that should have been made. But we don't normally have 300-pound defenders aiming to knock us down.

I've never had a 300-pounder come at me after a sermon, but I've had my share of criticism come for something I said, or didn't say.

2. Is this going to make it more difficult to recruit volunteer teachers?

I imagined my next recruiting conversation going something like this:

Me: I'm looking for someone to teach the fourth grade class.
Them: Well, I'm trying to apply biblical truth to my life. And the pastor did just preach about not many presuming to be teachers.
Me: I'm so happy you heard that sermon and not the one I preached about your faith becoming action the week before.

But just so you don't think I didn't get anything out of the message that day.

3. There is truth that teachers carry an expected burden that comes with teaching.

God rightly expects more because teachers do have influence. There's really no getting around this fact. Teaching, or any kind of leadership, in the church is not the fairy-tale life. It is a privilege that couples as a burden. And it is not to be taken lightly.

That's why I would suggest being sure it's a calling. In the end, nothing else will help when the judgment comes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d