Skip to main content

Choir Boys, Kevin Bacon and the gods We Make

I think I have sometimes pictured pre-Jesus Israel as this nation full of choir boys. They all knew their part. They all knew God's Law. They all knew, and practiced, right over wrong.

A simple glance around any church should have told me I was an idiot. Not that the church I am a part of is full of idol-totin', sailor-talkin', sin-saturated pagans. (Then again, I'm not saying we don't have our share...)

But to assume that the ancient world, with their lack of agenda-pushing media, was a world similar to any opening-number of a Disney movie, is just silly. Sin entered the world through Adam. It didn't wait until 1984 to get started corrupting people. Why 1984? That's when Kevin Bacon corrupted an entire town by telling them there was a time to dance. Perish the thought!

Listen, I've been educated about Bible matters, history and the like. But it's interesting the preconceived notions we carry, such as people now are more corrupt than in the old days. Not exactly true. What's different is that we have the internet to help spread our shared sin farther and faster.

I digress. Here's what I found to prove people were just as stupid back then. A guy by the name of Micah (not the prophet, also not a choir boy) makes himself some idols and pays a priest to ignore the Law of Moses and come be his well-paid, well-fed, personal priest. You can find this all in Judges 18, perhaps the only other time in history when reality TV would have thrived like today.

As happens with corruption, the priest got greedy when a better offer was made, helped steal Micah's idols and skipped town. Micah, however, wasn't one to take things sitting down. He rounded up his posse, chased the thieves down and asked if they wanted to rumble. The thieving party acted surprised and asked what the matter was.

"You've taken away the gods I have made."

Do you want to know why many people today are angry? Upset? Frustrated? They have made their own gods and found them wanting. They have built and established a life on their own terms and now wonder why it is lacking. If something is empty, one has to ask what it was filled with.

The empty promises of the world, which we continue to buy into, are stolen by a bigger dream. Our idols are found, once again, to be empty and without any real use in times of trouble. We find our friends and wonder together what has gone wrong.

I would suggest we look to a God whom we have not made. We could not have possibly made God. He made us. And someday the gods we have fashioned for ourselves will be taken away. They will be shown for what they really are.

We'll look awfully silly chasing after a god which could not protect itself in the first place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d